Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

Woah, Buzz. I've seen you post that beer before, but I don't recall seeing that scout. It looks great. Mind telling a bit about it?

She's a beauty, isn't she? The Queen 99 scout is a current production model, although a bit scarce to find. It has a smallish very thinly ground D2 blade. Probably the best cutting scout knife I've ever carried. The can opener is interestingly shaped, and sharp just like a knife blade. It makes for a great package opener when the edge is touched up. The cap lifter doesn't work well out of the box, and needs to be reshaped a bit. The flathead screwdriver is so thinly ground, that it can't really be used as a screwdriver or a prybar, without bending accidentally. But it is a nice scraper. The awl is okay, but nothing to write home about. In the end, this knife is all about the outstanding D2 blade and the beautiful bone covers, which is enough for me. But I'm sounding a bit hard on this knife. It's a very nice knife that has only grown on me over time.

6UBGDU6h.jpg

Becz9dmh.jpg

I usually will pick up at least a four pack of MT new IPA releases, but was away working when this one dropped. Of course, just like many SFO's it was sold out relatively quickly. I am lucky to have some considerate friends and one of them gave me this can. I wish I had been able to pick up more as Dinosaur World may be the best IPA that MT has done since they opened their doors.

That Drakes Hazy should be a very solid beer. Looking back through some of the pages I missed while away you have had some pretty awesome beverages ( and blades) lately. What would you say currently is your favorite in both fields and what places them above all others?

Right now I'm really into IPA's...again. I like the IPAs that are on the "fruity" spectrum lately, back in the day i wanted the dankest, hoppiest Double or triple IPA i could find. I have been trying to stick to stuff local or around the Sacramento region. Some awesome stuff coming out of New Glory, Moonraker, Device, Track 7, Mraz the list just keeps growing around here. I start to get into sours and tarts as the weather warms up though. I have a new sour, I'm gonna try tomorrow . I am also gonna pick up two newly released IPA's one of the the Drakes hazy "Vice Hops" and the other by Claimstake Brewing called, "The Pavlo," I will post pictures.

As far as knives go for sure my 77 with the new style clip is my favorite followed by my BSKs. Both patterns are small enough for me to run as a secondary blade they just don't seem to take up as much room. Sometimes I will through my Bull Nose in there or my little #18 Coyote. What ever pairs well with my non traditional and gives me enough pocket space pretty much.

Last edited:
e1af8a9ab95f7ef266ab40515f7a48ff.jpg

Claimstake Brewing, wow. It's a good one!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Great color to that one tmd. I'm also in the same place as you with the fruity ipas right now. I was over ipas for a while, but can't get enough again. Stonebeard, great to see you back. These were flown in from a Vegas trip by my father, and didn't disappoint. They were both a nice change from all the ipas I've been drinking lately.
8a7a595ce4686e2a2bd4c2c7e08a3fde.jpg
e47e17ed6f00d938718b6dfe069ab246.jpg

02872c450cd02c056ef48106356bc149.jpg

Drinks in the room, before going out for the night for my wife's birthday. The Outer Space vodka is good stuff.

Not sure how I'd feel about drinking alien brains, tmd_87. ;) Happy birthday to your wife. I hope you have a good night out.

I've got another one that's been tucked away in the fridge for way too long (bottled on 05/14/16 [emoji33]):

2d58a2ecd298478f554d9354868c7780.jpg

It's held up surprisingly well.

Switched from a IPA to try out a Mosaic Pale and the non show side topped off with some Stevie Ray Vaughan [emoji6]
d1c95e4f9e98ab69caee52cc6392a0df.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AtIHK3f.jpg

Pretty good Sour Ale- lots of green apple flavor on the back end. Beer Scout and Kyle's Kiwi to complement to oaky notes. I'm having sinus issues right now, so it's probably not the best time to review a beer, but I couldn't stand seeing it sit in the fridge.

East coast juicy IPA's solely hopped with Citra are absolutely crushing it right now. I have had three examples lately that match that of Claimstake and all have been instant hits. The most recent was Constant Evolution from Mumford.

02872c450cd02c056ef48106356bc149.jpg

Drinks in the room, before going out for the night for my wife's birthday. The Outer Space vodka is good stuff.

Hope you had a great time for your Wife's birthday! Never had the Outer Space Vodka, but I've got some buddies that only drink vodka tonics and I'll put it on my list of must try spirits.

Great color to that one tmd. I'm also in the same place as you with the fruity ipas right now. I was over ipas for a while, but can't get enough again. Stonebeard, great to see you back. These were flown in from a Vegas trip by my father, and didn't disappoint. They were both a nice change from all the ipas I've been drinking lately.
8a7a595ce4686e2a2bd4c2c7e08a3fde.jpg
e47e17ed6f00d938718b6dfe069ab246.jpg

ae1633f81e6a1e1e92f6c1538913d019.jpg

This is really good!

It's great to be back with some time to catch up. Those look like some great beers your dad brought in from LV. It's interesting to see how well coffee blends with so many different beer styles. I always expect it to be good in stouts, but have been pleasantly surprised when I enjoyed it in red ales, goldens and even IPA's. The Oak BSK is a great match for those fine beers:thumbup: I was not aware that Sierra Nevada makes a black IPA but it's one I will definitely seek out and try. Has that wormy chestnut grown on you over this past year?

AtIHK3f.jpg

Pretty good Sour Ale- lots of green apple flavor on the back end. Beer Scout and Kyle's Kiwi to complement to oaky notes. I'm having sinus issues right now, so it's probably not the best time to review a beer, but I couldn't stand seeing it sit in the fridge.

Big fan of sours and that one sounds awesome! Really like that pair of knives :thumbup: I think the majority of regulars here in B&B all have Oak BSK's, myself included! Hope you are feeling better and getting some relief from your sinus issues.

Not sure how I'd feel about drinking alien brains, tmd_87. ;) Happy birthday to your wife. I hope you have a good night out.

I've got another one that's been tucked away in the fridge for way too long (bottled on 05/14/16 [emoji33]):

2d58a2ecd298478f554d9354868c7780.jpg

It's held up surprisingly well.

Stones Citrusy Wit is a nice easy drinking summer brew. They also locally make a black wit which they've titled Witty Moron that I have enjoyed for about four years now. I'm not sure if they have ever gotten around to bottling it, but if you like Wit's give it a shot. It's different but really good. I like the bone and especially the shield on your Camilus:thumbup:

Enjoyed this DIPA yesterday afternoon. It was brewed with 100% Lupulin powder and is one of the cleanest and freshest tasting IPA's I've tried. I was very greatful that a friend thought to give me this can and really wish I had at least a few more.

Enjoyed this DIPA yesterday afternoon. It was brewed with 100% Lupulin powder and is one of the cleanest and freshest tasting IPA's I've tried. I was very greatful that a friend thought to give me this can and really wish I had at least a few more.

That black IPA was actually in a mixed pack from Costco. I'd definitely like to find a 6 pack of just that though. The chestnut is definitely a staple in my rotation now. It's funny since I hardly even take notice of the wormy marked covers at all now, and just appreciate the feel of the knife. Those beers look great with that micarta work horse. That's definitely one I missed out on, that I'm regretting now. On a side note, how are those spiegelau glasses? Worth the hype?

Last edited:
There have been some tasty looking beverages in this thread lately, that's for sure. :thumbup:

This isn't my go-to peated whisky, but I had it in the liquor cabinet, and it's decent enough.

0E9346DA-406C-4C66-BE27-F5911BBAEE8F.jpg

On a side note, how are those spiegelau glasses? Worth the hype?

The spiegelau glasses are nice and definitely well made. Do they make beers taste better? Probably not Haha, despite any of their claims. Ive got absolutely nothing agains drinking out of bottles or cans, and often do both, but I enjoy trying different styles and it adds to the hobby to drink a beer from its designated glassware. I will say the glasses allow for some nice beverage and blade pictures.

Back