1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

BG42 vs S35VN

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by ti lock, Jul 8, 2017.

1. ti lock

ti lock

Jul 20, 2013
    Does anyone here have experience with both steels on their CRK knives.... if so how would you compare the two steels against each other....

2. MessOnAMission

MessOnAMission Gold Member Gold Member

May 4, 2016
    Sure. I have a BG42 Regular and have had numerous S35VN CRKs. I can definitely get the BG42 to a sharper edge. Edge retention isn't as good as S35VN in my opinion, and it's more likely to chip. The "new" S35VN (with 59-60 hrc) feels like the best of both worlds; I've had some that feel like BG42 as far as hardness, but with better edge retention. They're both great steels, and if you can find a CRK in BG42, I'd say go for it.

3. ex Vento

ex Vento

May 30, 2008
    Unfortunately BG42 tends to pitting corrosion. My (resently) bought BG42 Regular has some pitting holes:( With my S30V/S35VN Sebenzas I had never have any problems with corrosion.

4. bart1

bart1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2009
    I think a lot of it is perception... my Bg 42's hang tough, the "carbon spotting" doesn't bother me at all.... My sv30's/35's seem to offer pretty much the same utility, except my Insingo, which seems to hold the best edge of all.

5. ti lock

ti lock

Jul 20, 2013
    My 2001 BG42 large sebenza has corrosion pitts in the blade as well....

Skycool likes this.
  6. ganagati

ganagati Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 13, 2011
    BG42 has been my favorite steel of the CRKs I've owned (full disclosure - I don't have much experience with S35VN), but I did notice some carbon spots for the first time upon a close inspection last night....... just one more reason to ship it off to CRK for a tune-up.....

7. ti lock

ti lock

Jul 20, 2013
    tune up ?... please be more specific...

8. ganagati

ganagati Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 13, 2011
    The lockup needs some work. I've been wanting to send the knife in to have that addressed; now that I've seen the spots, I really want to get it in. I'd prefer to let them take care of them.

9. ti lock

ti lock

Jul 20, 2013
    Ganagati, BG42 blade pitting ... I wonder how common this is.... I don't think that there is much crk can do about it

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  10. bvo85

bvo85 Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 27, 2017
    I'd be happy to buy some pitted BG42 regular sebenzas at a discount because of perceived aesthetic issues!! Keeping my eye on the sale forum for some good deals posted by people who like pretty knives :) :)

11. ti lock

ti lock

Jul 20, 2013
    bvo85, it is an aethetic issue... I am not that picky but the pitting is pretty bad on my blade... I would post a pic but can't since i am not a paying member and i will not use image hosting sites in order to do so

12. JNewell

JNewell Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I've got some of all three. Overall I far prefer BG-42. It holds an edge much longer than my S30V and S35VN blades. I've never had any corrosion issues with any CRK blade, unlike the two members above. The downside of BG-42 in my experience is that if you let it get fairly dull it's a bear to bring a good edge back. In that regard, there's a sort of tradeoff. I have to touch up the S30V and S35VN blades more often, but it takes less time.

13. ti lock

ti lock

Jul 20, 2013
    i use the WE and its not problem to sharpen my large sebenza bg42 blade in a timely fashion no matter how dull... the pitting is the issue and IMHO unless one takes the utmost care I think that the blade will pit

14. JNewell

JNewell Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I don't (have two), and they haven't.

15. Birdhunter1220

Birdhunter1220 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2011
    I have had several BG-42's and carry two now (large and small) and only one with pitting. I bought the one with pitting with the hopes of figuring out some way to smooth it out. I have had some chipping issues( I use them hard) but does not take much with the WE to clean them up.

16. nyefmaker

nyefmaker Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I will take the unmentioned one in the middle every time....S30V

17. u812

u812 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 15, 2002
    I really miss BG42. I could get a really sharp edge on it and the micro chipping wasn't an issue.
    Would love to see a run going back to BG42 or using M390.

18. 353

Feb 20, 2015
    Yeah, a small 21 in 20cv/M390/204p would be fantasic. Maybe even a grail EDC for me personally.

19. PiterM

PiterM Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 27, 2000
    I can sharpen my BG42 to incredible sharpness, but... S35VN holds edge just longer and it's really very resistant to corrosion. I have couple of small black spots on my BG42. Honestly, I don't care about that and carry/use my old Regular a lot. But S35VN seems to be better choice for working knife.