Big Ole' Bowie {Sheath finished up!}

BenR.T.

Tanto grinder & High performance blade peddler
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
First off the pictures are not up to my standards, but there was no way to fit this big guy in my light box!
This is the second hidden tang knife I have ever done, and I really wanted to push myself. It has a bunch of features I have never tried before.
It has a crested spine that transitions into to the clip. The handle is dyed elk antler, and all the fittings are blued mild steel. I tried an etched and 1000grit hand rubbed finish. I also made a matching frog (another first) for the sheath and am waiting on some snake skin to complete the sheath.
It is not perfect, but I learned a lot along the way.
OAL is 19.5", the blade is 13.75" of 5160.
Any and all comments and critiques are welcome!
Thanks for looking.

IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1570.jpg

IMG_1559.jpg

IMG_1560.jpg

IMG_1572.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1568.jpg

That whole thing is pretty cool, but I think that my favorite thing is the combo of texture and polish on the butt cap. Your guard fit looks spot on from here too! Good work!

Outstanding! Fit and finish look top quality! Can't wait to see the whole package!

That's a bad ass Bowie. I really like what you did with the fittings....superb job.

Thanks for the kind words fellas!!

Have you made a blade similar to the Strider RW3--Richard Marcinko VN knife?
Thanks
Bodiebill

No I haven't, but you can shoot me an email if you are interested in a quote.

That's gorgeous, obviously a lot of time spent on things but it pulls it off in an understated way. I love the color of that antler and the hammer finish work.

Red

Great classic bowie, I like the simplicity of design and as Hengelo said, the details show your skill.

How did you attach the butt plate? The elk handle really puts it into the 1800's.

Can't wait to see the sheath.

Thanks Mark. Theknife is threaded together on the inside. I threaded the tang, cut a step inside the antler, and tightened it all together with a nut.I then filled the whole thing with West systems G-flex epoxy. The pommel has a mini "tang" about an inch long that extends down into the handle and is secured via the epoxy.
A lot of work goes into the stuff you can't see, but in the end it makes for a stronger knife I think.

WOW that is a seriously awesome knife. Beautiful work!!

Man this is the kind of knife that could make me spend stupid money (money I don't have that my wife would find out about and kill me, with my fancy new knife). Just absolute beautiful I had to say it again. My boss really needs to pay me more so I can buy this :D

Red

Thanks Dago, It'll be bargain priced for its size!! Just wait till you see the sheath, I got something special in store. ;)

Alright boys and girls, here it is all wrapped up! I am definitely not Paul Long, but I think it came out alright.
This knife and sheath are basically all firsts for me, and I am pleased how they came out.
As tedious as hand stitching this monster was; I take pride in my knives being 100% sole authorship and that includes doing sheath work.

Let me know what you guys think, don't worry I can take it! ;)

IMG_1606.jpg

IMG_1612.jpg

IMG_1611.jpg

IMG_1610.jpg

Wow Ben that's great, I really like leather work myself ,very relaxing for me.

Your stitching looks great, nice and even, how did you punch your holes?

Back