1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

BK2 blade integrity/quality control question

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Alive!, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Alive!

Alive!

Oct 5, 2012
    Hello all, I am pretty new to the hobby and just bought my first blade. After looking around for months I finally decided on the BK2. It finally arrived today and after careful inspection/appreciation of this awesome beast I noticed something odd on the blade, there is what looks like little holes or pockets on the blade. My question is, will this affect the integrity and strength of the blade? It is still a super thick blade but I wanted to know if this is some sort of a factory defect or am I just worrying about nothing?

Thanks for your help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Alive!

Alive!

Oct 5, 2012
    [​IMG]
    by , on Flickr

[​IMG]
    by , on Flickr

edit: got it.

thanks!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  3. Moosez45

Moosez45 Custom Antlers, Factory Knives... Moderator

Jul 14, 2010
    Worrying about nothing. You can't hurt that thing, if you tried. The only thing that has claimed the life of a BK2 is throwing it at a tree stump. Hardened steel doesn't do well with impact force.

The "pockets" come from impurities in the steel, that the manufacturer buys from. There is a small margin of what's acceptable in every major knife manufacturing facility on the planet.

If it got made, it passed spec.

If you want some more opinions from other folks that have a BK2, come see us in the BKT forum, we'd be glad to have you stop in.

Moose

4. Alive!

Alive!

Oct 5, 2012
    ^thanks! def glad to hear that. about the sheath, i've read numerous complaints about the older gen sheaths dulling the blade, can someone tell me if i have the updated, non-dulling kind:

[​IMG]
    20121009_221819

5. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    I'm pretty sure that's the new style sheath.

6. The Mastiff

The Mastiff

Apr 21, 2006
    Alive, that's just a cosmetic thing as Moosez stated. It will not affect strength or performance even a little. Nice choice of knives for your first. Keep things sensible and it should last a few generations in your family.

Good pictures too.

Have you given any thought to what is next? I always tried to fill categories deciding what I needed next and picking my favorite knife from the next category.

You might be surprised at how easy it gets to talk yourself into a new knife. :)

Joe

7. bored2deth

bored2deth

Feb 27, 2011
    The coating on the Becker knives is also tough as nails, and somewhat thick as I've found on my Bk-11. :) You have a fine knife there, you should not have a worry in the world. Mr.Becker is a good man, and designs great products. I've put my little Bk-11 through quite alot, so I'm sure that the Bk-2
    you have should be nothing short of a sharpened tank! :) Check out the Becker forum, there's plenty of info and tips.

8. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    Most of us in the Becker forum end up stripping the coating off anyways though.

9. Alive!

Alive!

Oct 5, 2012
    Thanks everyone. Glad its only cosmetic. Took me quite a while to narrow my choice to the bk2 and im glad i did.

Regarding what I have in mind for my next, im thinking of getting the bk14 and attaching it to the back of the esee 5 molle strap that i just ordered. micarta handles are on the way too. man, i gotta slow down.

10. Moosez45

Moosez45 Custom Antlers, Factory Knives... Moderator

Jul 14, 2010
    Easy there killer.

Nobody tell him about the BKT Shorts, he might wind up divorced.

As to whether you sheath will dull, holster that big dude a few times and cut some paper, its really the only way to know.

Either way, don't, I repeat don't look at the BKT Shorts.

[​IMG]

:D

Moose

11. Hadji Flip Me Over

Hadji Flip Me Over

Mar 1, 2010
    "Well, I have a .19" thick 6-inch blade already, but I sure could use a .22" thick 6-inch blade... Aw hell, I'll buy it anyway!"

12. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    With just a little help from Bladeforums ;)

:D :D :D