BK21 Unboxing And Initial Impressions (UPDATED)

It really is all about the learning curve. Once you get the hang of one they are amazing tools. I am probably a few months out from finally owning a 21. Job loss, moving, Christmas, means its gonna be a bit before my funds are back to where I can spend fun money again. Got a new job and all, but that three months of no income at all stung.

Yep, the learning curve, for sure. I remember chopping some small branches with the 21, on a board that was on the ground. I was thinking it wasn't doing so well, but then I realized that my angle was way off, and the tip of the blade was actually hitting the board first, and barely even touching the branch, haha. A duh moment.

I held off for a bit myself. I'm never one that has to be the first on the block to have something, but I was really wanting to check it out. I couldn't really afford it myself, but took the plunge.

I remember chopping some small branches with the 21, on a board that was on the ground. I was thinking it wasn't doing so well, but then I realized that my angle was way off, and the tip of the blade was actually hitting the board first, and barely even touching the branch, haha. A duh moment.

The proof:

91.png

Oops......

E

Hey, be nice. :D

Oops translated...dumb ass kukri noob. :D

This is why I later chopped up some small stuff on top of the fence post, where that wasn't as likely to happen.

It figures, the first time i jump back on this forum in a loooong time, there is stuff i gotta get !!! LOL Nothing has changed here !!! LOL

It figures, the first time i jump back on this forum in a loooong time, there is stuff i gotta get !!! LOL Nothing has changed here !!! LOL

Haha, I hear that. We're going back to the cabin this weekend hopefully, perhaps for 3 days. Really looking forward to getting this blade out again.

I really did mean to be pleasant...... Sympathetic, even..... I got lotsa scars......... E

I really did mean to be pleasant...... Sympathetic, even..... I got lotsa scars......... E

Oh, I had no doubt, I was just being goofy. :thumbup:

Can't wait to use this thing again this weekend.

watch out for deflection :D

those AG Russels.

now and again, i look for a few blades, that's one of them.

recently, i found a "sorta hard to find kukri" - one of those russian things - should be here by xmas by way of russian federation.

one down, many to go :D

i even learned a couple things from old uncle E in that video ;)

namely, he has a few more blades he hasn't told me about :}

Chopped a bit more yesterday. Will post some photos and more thoughts later.

Update:

Used the 21 a bit yesterday, just for a little chopping. Wanted to try some snap cuts. Found this piece of dry tree down, and decided to use it.

Moment of impact. Easily took this piece off in one swing:

92.png

This is what I was saying last time, that I didn't quite understand. You can see the deep bite it took in this photo:

93.png

Yet this time (not sequential) it hit hard, without much penetration:

94.png

Then again it would sink so deep I had a hell of a time getting it out:

95.png

A pile for the wood burner:

96.png

This is hitting a piece of seasoned black walnut with a solid hit. (No snap cut) It sank in to about the grind line:

97.png

98.png

This is using a snap cut. Went in a bit deeper. I know not a definitive test, but I was getting these results quite consistently:

99.png

By the way, this is what a Becker looks like when you use it, haha:

100.png

Just liked this shot:

101.png

For the hell of it. BK4, BK5, BK9, and BK21:

102.png

103.png

A few things I noticed. Again, sometimes I would get great penetration, and another time I wouldn't. Sometimes it was a different part of the tree, so perhaps some places are harder than others. However, there were many times I would hit the piece very close to a good penetrating hit, and it would barely sink in.

Also, when it hit the log on occasion, the knife would twist in my hand. Like I said, this is my first kukri style blade, so maybe I'm just not used to it, but it would do that sometimes.

Lastly, this thing wore me out, haha. It's a heavy blade to swing, and tiring after awhile. I used my 4, and 9 afterwards, and they felt so light in my hand. It was kind of like putting the weight on a baseball bat, and swinging it a few times, then taking it off, making the bat feel lighter.

I mainly use my knives for wood processing, and the 4 and 9 are much more usable, imho. Although the 4 and 9 are weight forward as well, they are more light and nimble in the hand, and don't wear me out nearly as fast. This was never intended to be a comparison to the 4 and 9, as they are different blade styles, weights, etc, but I couldn't help but to think these things while using the 21.

While I do think this is a very cool, and bad ass looking blade, I have to say, it's just not for me.

Thanks warrior. killer review. I already knew I'd have to get one at some point, but this answered all the questions I had. I totally agree too about the bk9, I can't imagine anything replacing mine.

Thanks warrior. killer review. I already knew I'd have to get one at some point, but this answered all the questions I had. I totally agree too about the bk9, I can't imagine anything replacing mine.

Thanks. This certainly wasn't meant to be a deterrent to purchasing the 21, but merely my opinion of it. I like it, but a bit too heavy for me.

Thanks for the insight. It's always nice to hear everyone's opinions. Love all the action shots.
I wondered if it would be too heavy for sustained use.
I wear my self out using the BK4, I always go like hell and don't really pace my self.
I intend on picking one up soon but with the pile (3) BK4's I have, not in a my rush.

I wouldn't mind having another kuk. I want to learn the 21 first though. Like the BK4, the 21 intrigues me.

May I ask a fundamental question
You have a BK4 but you seem to be approaching the BK21 as the first time you have used a Kukri
Why?

As you know I have the BK4, and as far as I am concerned it is a kukri in all aspects.

Another point is that Ethan only give a very brief explanation in the video how the BK4 has a too small a belly therefore a shorter sweet spot

May I ask a fundamental question
You have a BK4 but you seem to be approaching the BK21 as the first time you have used a Kukri
Why?

As you know I have the BK4, and as far as I am concerned it is a kukri in all aspects.

Another point is that Ethan only give a very brief explanation in the video how the BK4 has a too small a belly therefore a shorter sweet spot

I don't look at the BK4 as a kukri. Kukri-ish, at best. I think of the 21 as kukri-ish as well, compared to a traditional kukri. But I've never even held a traditional kukri.

Not sure what point you're trying to make about Ethan's explanation. I know it has a short sweet spot.

Thanks for the insight. It's always nice to hear everyone's opinions. Love all the action shots.
I wondered if it would be too heavy for sustained use.
I wear my self out using the BK4, I always go like hell and don't really pace my self.
I intend on picking one up soon but with the pile (3) BK4's I have, not in a my rush.
Oops, sorry I missed this.

I tend to not pace myself either, haha. I go like a mad man trying to get it done. The 21 however, made me be very careful.

Back