• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Black Samurai - needs lesson on ethics

Yes, it is poor form and poor ethics on the part of Black Samurai.
But no sale was completed, therefore no Itrader feedback should have been left by either party.
A thread here is all that should have taken place.
Members are advised to use the Itrader system carefully.

The Exchange Forum Rules said:
3.We will not edit feedback for you unless it's an obvious error (ie negative rating, but overtly positive comments)

While I agree that a seller reserves the right to sell an item to anyone they desire, it appears that the seller did in fact agree to accept payment from the OP, seeing as how he provided his paypal address just minutes after the OP said "I'll take the light".

If that wasn't the case, the seller should have specified in his original post that the sale of any items were contingent upon purchase of the whole lot, OR that he expected immediate payment (although he seemed perfectly fine with the second buyer waiting until later that evening).

At the very least, the seller should have been considerate enough to communicate specifically with the OP that he wanted payment sooner (which, again, clearly wasn't an issue), or would rather sell as a lot, which in no way was indicated in the original sales post. Very poor form on the seller's part, and definitely not indicative of anyone I would ever want to do business with.

In all fairness, members can sell or not sell to whomever they want. There is some structure involved with this though. It's very poor form to post a thread with specific terms, acquire a buyer and then add more terms on top of the deal. However, it is also the buyers discretion to tell the seller to stuff it if they are uncomfortable with the added terms. Now, would I be happy spending time, getting my hopes up for a transaction only to be hit with some extra fees, hoops, and hurdles? No I sure wouldn't, and I'd have simply moved on. That is just me though. For every seller here that tries to squeeze extra terms in, make an extra $2 off the PayPal fees, there are about 2 dozen that don't.

Thats about how I feel. I would've simply moved on. Bad form on his part and I would never do that, but it happens at times.
When he put the other stuff up you hadn't paid yet, and he does have the right to sell to whom he wants. Again, I would never do it myself, but if something like that happens to me I just move on.

After you left him poor feed back also....
There was no sale completed between you two. Neither of you should be leaving feedback for spite.
It is an infractionable offense to do so. Only the admin can reverse it and likely will not do so, due to poor behavior.

Yes, it is poor form and poor ethics on the part of Black Samurai.
But no sale was completed, therefore no Itrader feedback should have been left by either party.
A thread here is all that should have taken place.
Members are advised to use the Itrader system carefully.

Karda is right, as always. Never leave Itrader when there is no sale.

The payment was returned. NO SALE WAS COMPLETED. ITRADER FEEDBACK IS ONLY TO BE USED FOR COMPLETED SALES.

Karda,

No offense intended, this is just my opinion but the seller DID accept the deal. At 12:01PM MT Kimber posted:

at 12:07PM Samurai posted (with no posts in between, obviously in reply to Kimber), clearly accepting Kinber's deal:

Then, after almost 2 hours had passed, the seller posts:

So the seller changed the deal AFTER accepting Kimber's deal. Had he changed his mind and the deal before accepting Kimber's deal, or had he chosen not to accept Kimber's deal, then I would be in complete agreement. But to accept a deal and then change your mind? Not Kimber's fault and poor ethics on the part of the seller IMHO.

Of course, it goes without saying that your decision as a mod supersedes any opinion of mine or any other member. Clearly this is just my respectfully submitted opinion.

I have to agree with this....when the seller said "KOOL" and then provided his paypal address, he'd agreed to the deal.

Last night I offered a few items on the emporium of another site and I had someone say that they would take an item and asked for my paypal. I responded within 5 minutes and then heard nothing. It was then midnight back East and I figured the person went to bed. When I got up this morning I had money in my account. If there was no money this morning I would have PM'd the person and asked if they were still interested. If I heard nothing by this point in the day I would send another PM explaining that the item was going back up for sale.

I feel that if you're going to sell on line you've agreed to deal with the time lags and other less than optimal situations that are involved with this mode of selling. I think the OP is correct when he says that the person selling needs a lesson in ethics (just my opinion) and I also agree that it was best to avoid leaving feedback over this as it wasn't going to end well and that feedback really isn't justified in this case based on the current system.

Here is the link: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...-Olight-m21-flashlight-Maxpedition-Leatherman

Just want everyone to know how this went down, so you can use discretion when dealing with this member. After I committed to buy the light, he went ahead and added more items, then offered them all as a package. I paid for the light at first chance after I got home from work. He apparently accepted another offer on all of it, and refused to honor my commitment. When I questioned him about his ethics, his reply was "well, he was ready with his money, and you weren't," while actually I could have been, had he listed "immediate payment due" in the post. So I would be very weary about any dealings with Black Samurai. I have had nothing but good transactions with all the members here, and everyone treats each other as a gentleman (or lady) with honor and respect. Something this member lacks and needs to learn I guess. Just wanted to share this experience with all here.
Sorry for your hassle. That is not very ethical what was done, but luckily you are not out anything other than maybe some time. I do appreciate the heads up and would like to remind folks that the feedback tab is not the only place to gauge someone. A quick look at his VM's would warrant some caution.

Sorry for your hassle. That is not very ethical what was done, but luckily you are not out anything other than maybe some time. I do appreciate the heads up and would like to remind folks that the feedback tab is not the only place to gauge someone. A quick look at his VM's would warrant some caution.

Yup, the vm's as well as looking at feedback specific to selling items, i.e from buyers on the seller's feedback page, not just the overall feedback score... It's definitely helped me choose who to do business with. :thumbup:

Yup, the vm's as well as looking at feedback specific to selling items, i.e from buyers on the seller's feedback page, not just the overall feedback score... It's definitely helped me choose who to do business with. :thumbup:

That is a good point, I think a lot of people have inadvertently overlooked that aspect. It really is a useful tool because it gives you a glimpse into the way that folks do communicate, and get along with other members in the community. While not an exact unit of measure for character and integrity, it sure does help. :thumbup:

That is a good point, I think a lot of people have inadvertently overlooked that aspect. It really is a useful tool because it gives you a glimpse into the way that folks do communicate, and get along with other members in the community. While not an exact unit of measure for character and integrity, it sure does help. :thumbup:

I am one of those people who "have inadvertently overlooked that aspect" but one of the reasons that I regularly read this sub forum is to learn. I realize that the VMs are just one aspect of deciding who to do business with, but the more data points you can get, the better you can make a solid decisions. This is something that I will look at from now on.

And thanks, Kyui Su Kim for a good suggestion. :)

I am one of those people who "have inadvertently overlooked that aspect" but one of the reasons that I regularly read this sub forum is to learn. I realize that the VMs are just one aspect of deciding who to do business with, but the more data points you can get, the better you can make a solid decisions. This is something that I will look at from now on.

And thanks, Kyui Su Kim for a good suggestion. :)

No problem.

Back