1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Blackjack Model 7: Are they worth the price?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by VolundoftheForge, May 13, 2012.

1. VolundoftheForge

VolundoftheForge

Jan 3, 2012
    Opinions?

2. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I think they are worth more than the price. They are basically a custom made knife with probably the best production sheath going, using excellent steel (A2) and come with a terrific convex edge. I have a model 7 and a model 125, and love 'em both.

3. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I agree with Jeff, now this isnt going to go down well, but ...I think they are just as good of a knife as the inspiration that they came from -the Randall.
    Randall guys will gut me for this, but the Blackjacks are such a well made knife and just as well made as a Randall, I have owned several blackjacks and a couple of Randalls, the Effingham blades seem to be a lot more desirable and will always command the better price.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  4. festerfromnzed

festerfromnzed

Aug 18, 2008
    I have an EFFINGHAM #7...It is the most perfectly balanced knife i have and a joy to use..It also gets VERY sharp and holds it..........FES

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 2manyknives

2manyknives

Aug 9, 2006
    They are well priced in my view and no five year wait. The 1-7 is a nice piece if you prefer a fighter style but the 125 is way more practical if you want it for camping, hunting etc.

6. markpmc

markpmc

Aug 10, 2011
    I have an Aurora bushcraft knife from bark river. A blackjack Model 13 on my list this year. You really can't go wrong w/ a knife made by BRKT. BRKT's A2 steel takes a great edge and holds it well.

Mark

7. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    I can't find any information on the Model 7. Is it a discontinued knife, or are you talking about the 1-7?

- Christian

8. richstag

richstag

Feb 22, 2007
    I agree. I really like fixed blades made by bark river.

Duncan,

Not going to gut you for it, but I will say having both I have always been partial to Randall overall. Something about the little touches Radnall does and how the knives turn out.

Thats how I feel about my Randall

[​IMG]

9. festerfromnzed

festerfromnzed

Aug 18, 2008
    Yes...the model 1-7.........................................FES

10. rwc53

rwc53

Dec 21, 2009
    I had one of these a number of years ago, and let it get away from me. I'm in the process of trying to get another of the old Effingham 1-7's to replace it. Having owned and used both one of these and a Randall Model 1, I will say it's just as good.

Ron

11. ElectricFactory

ElectricFactory

Jul 31, 2007
    Question- the Blackjack EFFINGHAM #7's are marked ' carbon steel' on the blade whereas other[ later ?] 1-7's are marked 'A-2 tool steel'.
    What is the practical difference here with respect to the blade ? Is there a practical reason to seek out one over the other ?

12. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    The Effingham blades were made from 1095. Current ones are made from A-2. Both good steels, I wouldn't turn my nose up at either one.

- Christian

13. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I thought I had seen some in O1 at some time past, but could be mistaken. The A2 is great.

14. Zuchus

Zuchus Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I have three Blackjack Classics now (new production, A2 steel) - the Model 7 (aka 1-7) in stacked leather, the Model 5 Commando in stacked leather, and a 125 in stag. I concur with black mamba - they are of excellent quality, as are the sheaths. It's amazing to me that these can be had for such a reasonable price. Oiling both the handle and the sheath with Neatsfoot oil makes them even better. Here's my Model 1-7:
    [​IMG]

15. tikkidaddy

tikkidaddy

Jan 1, 2012
    i have a BJ14fg in green i just aquired. Best production sheath ive seen in 30 yrs!! Blade came sharp as a razor and w/ a little stropping--woah momma! I haven't had much of a chance 2 use it yet. I posted a thread under reviews and testing b4 i seen this one. Alotta people prefer the border patrol handle but I got the fg in homage to the 1st Randall 14 I ever saw at smkw in Tenn. They wanted $600.00. I didn't have the cash. I coulda had a R14fg by now, but it was always the $$$$.$$. Ergo Blackjack. I don't regret the purchase. I do regret waiting on the R14!

16. oilburner

oilburner

Dec 6, 2009
    I had an Effingham 1-7 for years, it was beautiful. Quality, top notch. I sold it on ebay over a year ago and have regreted it from the moment the auction ended. You gotta do what you gotta do, but I'll have another some day.

17. Tinplater

Tinplater

Mar 2, 2012
    I think they are a great value. I own 4 Randalls which I love and 6 Blackjacks. Now that I'm in my 50's I really don't feel like waiting 5 years for a new Randall and don't really want to pay huge mark ups but a new Blackjack can be found relatively easy.