1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

blade crinking

Discussion in 'Camillus Collector's Forum' started by bertl, Nov 30, 2016.

1. bertl

bertl Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Since the stockman pattern knives had the two secondary blades on the same spring, a slight crink or bend was made near the tang so blades could close. What I would like to know is when in the manufacturing process this occurred and how? Was it done before the hardening process or later? Was a jig used or was it done freehand?

Bert

2. WilliamCody

WilliamCody

Aug 30, 2016
    I'm not 100% sure, but my understanding is that it's after heat treat/hardening and they heat the tang back up and make the adjustment. From what I have been told, this makes the different metal components have differing hardness, reducing wear as well.

3. bertl

Feb 17, 2011
    Thanks for the information, WilliamCody. Do you know if a machine was dedicated for the crinking? It seems that it needed to be fairly precise.

Bert

4. Phil Gibbs

Phil Gibbs Cutlery Student Platinum Member

Nov 11, 1998
    Blade tangs were annealed after heat treat.
    Finished blades were set (crinking was not used as the term at Camillus) in the assembly department just prior to assembly.
    Most were set using a soft faced hammer, holding the blade in an air vice, and setting the blade to a pointer marking ideal set.

5. bertl

Feb 17, 2011
    Thank you, Phil.

Bert

6. citytransplant

citytransplant

Apr 12, 2008
    Phil, what's an air vice? I tried Google (How to use ..) and came up empty. Thanks in advance and thanks for the interesting information.

7. Phil Gibbs

Phil Gibbs Cutlery Student Platinum Member

Nov 11, 1998
    An air vice is a vice with an air cylinder, so it can be opened & closed rapidly using a foot pedal.

8. citytransplant

citytransplant

Apr 12, 2008
    Ah ha. Your post prompted me to search "pneumatic vice" and BINGO, I see exactly what you are referring to. The feature allows for rapid opening and closing of the jaws.

I think my mother in law was born with one of these.