1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Blade Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Schrade Knives Collectors Forum' started by William Schrade, Oct 3, 2012.

1. William Schrade

William Schrade

Jul 30, 2012
    I Googled cutlery hall of fame and was surprised to see Albert Baer was inducted as the founder of Schrade Cutlery. Albert and Henry bought Schrade Cutlery about 42 years after my Great Grandfather started the company in 1904. I think George Schrade should be in the Hall of Fame, don't you? BTW I met Uncle Henry a couple of times. He was a real gentleman and a real down to earth guy. I'm told a polar opposite of his brother.

2. Codger_64

Codger_64 Moderator Moderator

Oct 8, 2004
    Welcome to the forum William!

Schrade cutlery evolved many times from it's original founding in 1904, as I am sure you are aware. The company which eventually became th Imperial Schrade Corporation under Albert Baer was born of a series of aquisitions made by Albert over many years beginning in the 1920's with stocks of Camillus, then the ownership of Ulster which affiliated itself with an old enemy, Imperial. Then the purchase of Schrade Cutlery Co from the Schrade family after WWII. Eventually the purchase of all of the outstanding Camillus stocks from the Kastor family, then Imperial stocks from the Mirando and other families involved there. What do I think? I think there should be a historical founder's roll which includes all of the major founders of cutleries in the U.S. But I understand what the current Hall Of Fame is. It was/is a promo for a publisher. Most founders and innovators do not get the recognition they deserve including the Schrade brothers, the Kastors etc.

Michael

3. oregon

oregon

Jan 12, 2005
    Terrific of you to post here William. Thank you. I would love to see a photo of any knives you may wish to show and beg your indulgence to post a photo of your famous elder(s). Your family has my personal admiration and thanks for your outstanding contribution to the cutlery industry. I enjoy collecting the interesting & innovative knives of one of the early giants in the industry George Schrade in particular. Here's one:[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  4. Dave Thinkstoomuch

Dave Thinkstoomuch Banned BANNED

Jun 15, 2009
    Thanks for posting! Do you have any old Schrade's we may not have seen? We love pictures! "Hall of Fame" inductions in any field tend to be quite subjective and are often done more for promotional than historical reasons as Codger pointed out. My vote if I had one? Sure, George Schrade's contributions should be recognized.

5. Codger_64

Oct 8, 2004
    George as well as his brothers. Bet you can't name them all, can you?

6. ea42

ea42

Jan 1, 2006
    William, great to see you posting here! It was a real pleasure to meet you at Canal Street a couple weeks ago, surprised the heck out of me! Heck I think George Schrade should be at the top of the list in the Hall of fame. Knives were his life, not just a means of making a living.

Eric

7. William Schrade

William Schrade

Jul 30, 2012
    Hi Eric, I must say you guys are pretty well hidden in the back there. I new I was in the right place when I could smell the bone. Wish I could have met Wally. I did meet your father back in the late 70's after I my brother George and I were invited up by Irv Tractenberg whom we met at a knife show in Louisville. Glad to see you guys keeping your production in the states. You make a beautiful product. Bill

8. William Schrade

William Schrade

Jul 30, 2012
    Well, there was J. Louis, who sued George over a patent infringement and lost. Then there was William. What he did at the company, I don't know. George had two sons. George Martin who traveled with him to Germany and Oscar who lived in Virginia and was in the lumber business. George Martin had one son, Theodore George. AKA Ted. Ted had three daughters and three sons. George, Theodore, and William. I'm the youngest. Did I forget someone?
    You might know more than I. I never met any Schrades other than direct descendents of George.

9. William Schrade

William Schrade

Jul 30, 2012
    Dave, I do have some pictures but I will have to dig them out from where ever they are. The actual knives are locked up in a safe deposit box. We are negotiating with the P.T. Barnum Museum here in Bridgeport to be curators of our collection. We donated some knives to the National Knife Collectors Museum but I've been told after the move to the new location they were misplaced. HMMMMM.

10. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
  11. lrv

lrv

Sep 14, 2003
    William, Thanks for posting in our little corner of the internet.
    I have wondered why George and George M were not in the Hall of Fame.
    Maybe we can find out.

12. Codger_64

Oct 8, 2004
    Some quotes relating to the Blade Magazine Hall Of Fame from a discussion held in the Levine forum here in 2008 regarding the late Jim Parker:

13. delmas2nd

delmas2nd Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 14, 2008
    i nominate Codger just because. (if you have to ask then you have not been paying attention)

14. Codger_64

Oct 8, 2004
    Ah hahahaha! No, no. All I have acomplished is to P.O. some big movers and shakers. Some participants in that very thread!

But I think the excerpted conversation does highlight what the H.O.F. is and is not.

Perhaps some day some organization will found a non-affiliated hall of fame not intended to promote any individual event or business, but rather to recognize the pioneers of the American Cutlery industry. After all, while cutlery collectors may today be the bread and butter of knife manufacturers and publishers, in the timeline that is a recent advent.

And yes, many of those recognized were influential in promoting the hobby as a means of increasing sales of manufactured goods. Nothing wrong with that and they do deserve recognition for promoting a hobby. But by and large, they are standing on the shoulders of some unrecognized captains of the industry.

Before there were collectors there were knife users. Collectors are a smallish substitute for a very large segment of society that once used (and used up) knives in their every day lives and provided a constant and ever growing demand for product. Not to fill cases and drawers, but to fill needs.

I am working on a recipe for whirled peas though.

15. thawk

thawk Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Misplaced... what a misguided word. Maybe they will be shown in the next edition of the Schrade Collectors Club magazine, which seems to be misplaced as well.

At any rate, nice to see you posting here.

16. Codger_64

Oct 8, 2004
    Say Hal, do you know what became of the Schrade factory collection?

17. Rusty1

Rusty1 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2005
    I thought that the collection was sold off to several individuals where some were placed on ebay. Then remaining going to SMKW.

Russell

18. thawk

thawk Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 28, 2006
    No I don't know about it at all.

19. Codger_64

Oct 8, 2004
    I remember us spotting bits and pieces on eBay for quite a while. I've not been to SMKW to see if any are displayed there. I seem to remember that they were cataloged and added to by Herman Williams from his own collection for the factory display boards.

20. Dave Thinkstoomuch

Dave Thinkstoomuch Banned BANNED

Jun 15, 2009
    Is this a test? A wise man once said: (http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/445730-How-much-surplus-was-in-Schrade-Factory?highlight=factory+collection)