1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Bladeforums Chat WEDNESDAY night!

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by NickWheeler, Feb 10, 2010.

1. NickWheeler

NickWheeler

Dec 3, 1999
  2. silver_pilate

silver_pilate

Oct 30, 2002
    I'll do my best to stop by. Ehh.....hope I didn't just scare away a crowd..... :D

--nathan

3. Paul Savage

Paul Savage

May 22, 2005
    I'd love to stop in but with the dial-up I'm pretty sure the conversaion would be over before I began. Paul

4. L6steel

L6steel

Sep 23, 1999
    Outstanding Nick!!!!
    Thanks for posting the link to the chat room!!!!

5. Mr. Bad Example

Mr. Bad Example

Dec 4, 2009
    Cool. I'll try to remember to drop in, though that is past my usual bedtime.

6. Teknition

Teknition

Mar 11, 2006
    Stop by and give it a try Paul. Its an IRC based chat so you will probably be OK even on dialup. There are alot of guys there running older computers as well as on dialup.

Brad
    www.andersonknives.ca

7. MJ Hofbauer

MJ Hofbauer

Jan 1, 2004
    Dialup is fine for IRC, it may take a couple minutes for the page to load when you first go there but the chat should work real-time. If you got a client like mIRC you wouldn't notice any difference from dialup to 50 megabit fiber optic. IRC (the protocol our chat runs on) has been around since the fastest modem was 1,200bps, your modem is probably 50 times faster than that. The main guy that runs the chat (pff) is on dialup, and has been there for about 11 years, and he runs several other chats at the same time.

L6steel; Well, you are of course welcome to come back, bud.

If anyone needs help with getting in, or wants to install mIRC or another client I'd be happy to lend a hand... And just for the record, anyone is welcome.

-MJ

8. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    I've never been on a chat room. It was very interesting....Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks.
    Stacy

9. ChasePhase

ChasePhase

Jan 1, 2010
    Total newb who learned a few things...Just sit and read(and drink;be merry)...
    thanks guys

10. butcher_block

butcher_block KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 6, 2004
    woooo its a party :)

11. JasonSCarter

JasonSCarter

Dec 20, 2008
    That was fun... for the short while I was able to be on... will definantly be there next wednesday!

Jason

12. silver_pilate

silver_pilate

Oct 30, 2002
    Aww...I missed it!! :( My wife and I got home from dinner, I layed down in bed and started looking over today's lesson plans, and then I fell plum asleep. I'll catch it another day for sure.

--nathan

13. Justin.Mercier

Justin.Mercier

Oct 21, 2006
    No reason why it has to be wedensday only =) People can jsut hang out in IRC and chat if people are there or idle if people arent. That's one of the nice things about IRC rather than instant messaging or whatnot.

14. Mace

Mace

Apr 8, 2003
    That was cool last night, but where the hell was that Nick Wheeler guy?:cool:
    Mace

15. Justin.Mercier

Justin.Mercier

Oct 21, 2006
    It was kinda funny actually because Nick left and literally less than 30 seconds later mace joins and asks where Nick is.

16. butcher_block

butcher_block KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 6, 2004
    is that liek clark kent and supreman :)

17. MJ Hofbauer

MJ Hofbauer

Jan 1, 2004
    Hey everyone, thanks for joining us. We had a great time, nice to see so many new users coming in!

Absolutely right Justin! The chat (IRC) is open every day, our regular meeting time is about 9pm Eastern. Wednesday is just a good meeting day for a specific 'Shoptalk Chat' that Brad and a couple others thought up. Casual chat is still welcome on Wednesdays, and shoptalk is still welcome the rest of the week, but that just helps set a gathering time. :)

Most nights it will be more casual, depending on how many people show up. That is just the nature of things. You'll find with me and the other longtime regulars, when it is just us we are like any friends, catching up on the days events. But if you can't make Wednesdays, or you have free time and want to chat come in any night!

Again, BF Chat on IRC at 9pm Eastern nightly or Wednesdays for Shoptalk Chat;

For beginners just click on Mibbit to join in.
    For more advanced users the server is irc.newnet.net and the channel is #bladeforums.com

-MJ

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  18. MJ Hofbauer

MJ Hofbauer

Jan 1, 2004
    Did you guys decide one week was it? Oh well...

-MJ

19. pff

pff

Oct 14, 1999
    It's Wednesday guys!

20. Sam Salvati

Sam Salvati

Aug 6, 2007
    Awesome chat, thoguh I wondered why the room title was "Nick Wheeler's bear cave"