Blades For My Razor?

It is well over half a century since my Dad gave me my first razor, a Gillette adjustable. In spite of using a variety of other razors - mostly plastic and not all that great, but convenient and easy to find - I have managed to hang on to it for all these years, stuck away in one draw or another through a number of household moves. I am posting this note because I recently came across it and decided to try using it again.

First problem: I discovered my local drugstores do not carry plain old double edged blades! Lots of fancy (and overpriced IMHO) multi-blade refills for equally overpriced plastic razors, but nothing for this one..

Second Problem: Went on line and it is exactly the opposite. Lots and lots of ads on eBay and other sources, with a whole range of prices and no clue as to what the difference is. Well. Having bought bargain knock offs from China, I have learned that you get pretty much what you pay for, but a bit of guidance would help

So: can anyone who uses an old fashioned type razor like mine recommend a brand/source for double edged blades?

Thanks!

Oh, this is almost as much a religion as is the whole shaving thing. Personally, being German and having a Merkur razor I mostly use Merkur or Mühle blades and Gillette only if nothing else is available. Some others prefer the Russian astras or the Japanese feather.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T813 mit Tapatalk

Nacet, Gillette platinum black (Indian made) are the two I like best for the money. Personna makes a good blade too.

If you want Really Sharp Blades Japanese made FEATHER is the way to go in my opinion. I use the regular ones. The extra money is well spent and still cheap in the big picture. I am still using the same feather blade over and over and over.......... and remember keep steady hands when using feathers. I love them.

I've tried the Merkurs from a sample pack that came with one of my razors & they were pretty good. I've been using Feathers for about six years now though & prefer them.

Maury, if you live in the U.S. I can send you a few different blades to try out. Just send me an email with your address.
Kurt shanor @ aol.com

My favourite blades are the Astra Platinums. Available on Amazon.

Walmart carries Van der Hagen razor blades which aren't bad.

Everyone here is going to tell you something different. Here's what I'll say - Go on Amazon and buy yourself a variety pack of like 100 blades. That way you can find out what you like and what you don't. I hate Feather and Astra is okay. Trig and Lord have done great by me. You'll know right away if you like the blade or not. Don't get zeroed in on one blade because someone said it worked for them.

I started with Derby, but graduated to Personna Blues (no sure if they are Lab or Med prep), but they are very comfortable and only ~$12 per 100 on The Big River site. I just tried a Feather today for the first time and had a nice shave too.

i have used voskhod or derby for a couple years now w/ no complaints. the Feathers are really nice too

I just took the plunge and ordered some Voskhods per all the good pub they get.

I am partial to the Personna blue blades. I have used feather but my technique must not be there because I had a good bit of razor burn after. Need to lighten up I guess.

+1 for Merkur, I'd agree on trying a sample pack but I didn't find any that worked for me from it, all were pretty dull I thought except for the feathers which are the sharpest yet most unforgiving, but I'm a face and head shaver and a barber so I need something that's sharp yet sturdy with good edge retention, from all my trials Merkur which came with my razor was my winner with Gillette Silver Blue not far behind, I do like feather from time to time but have to be really mindful throughout the shave.

Edit: I buy from eBay or Amazon, the art of shaving has some of both at great markup if you wanna grab a pack or two to try.

I've tried derby, merkur, polsilver, personna blues, gilettes, and about four more that I can't remember off the top of my head.

I pretty much stick to feather now. They really are the sharpest razor blades I've used. Other blades may give me a couple more decent shaves but feathers, during the first three shaves especially, knock the face fur off like no other. You really almost don't feel the shave until after you're done. Buy a good aftershave with some witch hazel.

I've tried derby, merkur, polsilver, personna blues, gilettes, and about four more that I can't remember off the top of my head.

I pretty much stick to feather now. They really are the sharpest razor blades I've used. Other blades may give me a couple more decent shaves but feathers, during the first three shaves especially, knock the face fur off like no other. You really almost don't feel the shave until after you're done. Buy a good aftershave with some witch hazel.

From my experience the Merkurs and Feathers were the only 2 blades that made it all the way through 1 shave before they started to tug, though my hair is somewhat coarse it's by no means wiry and with a head shave I'm not surprised, but I'm always blown away when people say they get multiple shaves out of these blades, the only razors I get multiple shave out of are cartridges.

From my experience the Merkurs and Feathers were the only 2 blades that made it all the way through 1 shave before they started to tug, though my hair is somewhat coarse it's by no means wiry and with a head shave I'm not surprised, but I'm always blown away when people say they get multiple shaves out of these blades, the only razors I get multiple shave out of are cartridges.

I can barely go more than one or two shaves before feeling tugging. I ignore it until I just feel like putting a new blade in. I'm not that sensitive to the blades, not that I don't necessarily feel it.

Back