1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Brand new Sebenza off center

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Anarchy84, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Anarchy84

Anarchy84 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Good evening!

Been a while since I've been active on the CRK forum. Took a wild ride of different taste in knives, but recently decided to pick up another Sebenza.

Received it today and found the blade is off-center right out of the box. Everything is as it should be as far as screws being tightened and such, but it's just not centered.

[​IMG]

This bothers me (perhaps more than it would bother a more rational person). Since I bought it from an authorized dealer, I'd like to replace it. Shot them a message about it, but I wanted to hear other's thoughts.

Would this drive you crazy, or be no big deal?

2. Amoo

Amoo Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2017
    If it was me, I would send it back and swap it out. I would also ask the dealer to personally check the next one they send out to ensure the next one you receive is g2g. It's only off slightly but it would bother me.

Out of curiosity which Benz is it? Is it an adjustable pivot model where you could possibly draw it over?

3. Anarchy84

Jul 3, 2016
    It's a Large Sebenza 21

4. Anarchy84

Jul 3, 2016
    Thanks for your input. Glad to hear I'm not crazy. As soon as I saw it, I put it back in the box. Killed my buzz.

5. Amoo

Amoo Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2017
    yeah man, CRK would obviously make it right as well, which is why we love them so much, but in a case like this, I would just swap it out and let the dealer exchange it with CRK.

6. Saint 3:16

Saint 3:16

Mar 1, 2015
    I'm just getting into Crk myself, and decided to pick up a couple used small 21s. I've frequent the Crk exchange to an obsessive degree and I would say at least half of the 21s posted are off centered, inkosis are usually centered.

Both of the two small 21s I've picked up used came off centered, one of which I was able to correct myself and now it's barely noticeable. I realized it's the risk I get for buying used knives, I can accept that, and one day I'll send both off to get the spa treatment. I am just sharing an observation, coming from someone who's been obsessed lol.

Forgot to add, now it's time to get myself a brand new, large 21 and I'm sure the tolerances will be better.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  7. Anarchy84

Jul 3, 2016
    I appreciate you guys taking the time to respond. Will wait to hear back from the dealer. :(

8. GermanyChris

GermanyChris Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2015
    That would go right on back to wherever you bought it.

9. Thin-Slice

Thin-Slice Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 4, 2016
    I would send it back as well. If its put together correctly, screws and no pinched washers and such i would venture a guess that one of the washers is thicker than the other. Then again even with no washers the pivot bushing supposed to help fix that so i have no idea. I would def send it back

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Mick_1KRR

Mick_1KRR

May 1, 2016
    Instantly back to the shop if it were mine. Let's face it, we buy CRK knives because of the feeling you get when you use a finely crafted tool made to such a high degree of detail. The feeling you get when it goes back together perfectly centered after every take down and clean. Why would you use an off center sebenza as opposed to a centered Paramilitary 2? the cutting experience is the same if not better on some cheaper spyderco's. I think all Sebs need to be centered, but that's just my opinion, i'm a bit OCD with centering.

11. nickj79

nickj79 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 21, 2016
    I'm the same way. If I pay top dollar for something there is an expectation that comes with it. You hear a lot from people saying they expect the CRK perfection. That is what I heard about before buying my first. Since then I have handled numerous and purchased a few brand new. NONE have been perfect. And something has annoyed me about every single one. Whether it be an off center blade, lock stick, lack of smoothness, etc. My observation is that maybe the perception of CR knives isn't an accurate depiction. They are great knives that use great material, with tight tolerances. Great to cut some stuff with!

12. archieblue

archieblue Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2001
    That is a c-hair too off center for a Sebenza. That would bother me. Definitely send it back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. AwayFromMySpydieHole

AwayFromMySpydieHole

Jan 30, 2017
    CRK is slipping. I hate to say it, because I'm a CRK lover, but they are slipping. I've been buying their knives heavily (along with Spydercos) for almost 10 years now. I've literally owned dozens of CRKs.

Lately, their quality is just......slipping. No other word for it. This insingo is off center too, and the edge is awful. Look at the tip, at how uneven the edge grind is. Obviously you can tell that I carry and use this knife, I didn't want to bother with sending it back, but I now regret that. That's not even a good pic of the centering, just the one I had on hand. It's actually worse if you look at it straight on. I'll try to snap a better pic.

Wish I would have sent it on back to Idaho. :(

[​IMG]

14. Anarchy84

Jul 3, 2016
    Thank you all for making me feel less crazy about this. Still haven't heard back from the dealer, but I'm hopeful they don't have an issue swapping it out.

15. Ickythump

Ickythump Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2011

Is there a reason you wont/dont send it in at this point?

I just recently purchases a large Inkosi w/ micarta inlays from a retailer. I was aware that this model was leaving CRK w/ some edge and grind issues as reported by some owners. I asked the retailer to please check for these issues and received a phone call informing me that the one and only Lrg Inkosi they had left indeed had an uneven edge bevel. And that I could decline the sale or return after I received if I was unhappy after inspection.

I opted to purchase figuring I could send it back to the retailer or just send it in to CRK if it was that bad...The edge is that bad, amateur at best.,.. more uneven than the pic above. The inlays have small gaps as well.. not tight to the milling, very slight, but enough for the OCD knife junkie in me to bothered by. I have never seen this on any of the inlayed examples Ive poured over for the last few years...until recently.. and is the case on a recent small Inkosi inlay I just received..again, slight..but present..

I sat on it for a few days..and then removed the lanyard and put the knife in my pocket..not wanting to send the knife off to either the retailer or CRK..I too am regretting the choice.

i followed a thread here on an uneven grind that was sent back to CRK and came back not perfect close..but no cigar..This was a big factor in me not sending the knife in for service..afraid it would have been resharpened instead of replaced..removing more material..shortening the service life of a $500+ knife..I know..I should call CS and see what they say..I am almost tempted to just pay for a new blade..and eat the $100+ ..pushing the investment to well over +600..I dont imagine anything would be done about the poorly fit inlays..

All of this did not stop me from ordering a large 21 Tanked late last night..Because..? Im a junkie...optimistic or a glutton for punishment...jury is still out

16. Anarchy84

Jul 3, 2016
    Just wanted to provide an update. I heard back from the dealer and his response was absolutely stellar. He said he only had one more Sebenza in this particular configuration and it too had a blade that was slightly off center. He offered to provide a full refund but made an alternative offer that I consider a win / win.

Strange that two Sebenzas in his inventory both had the same issue. A little worrisome, but at least the dealer made it right.

17. kidcongo

kidcongo Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 12, 2013
    The worst blade centering of any CRK I own is on a mint-condition Regular, so go figure. I don't think it has anything to do with 2017, it just happens.

18. Ickythump

Ickythump Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2011
    The birth date/year isn't mentioned.

19. Payette

Payette Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Flaws are not acceptable at this price range...

20. bhyde

bhyde UNNECESSARY EVIL Moderator Platinum Member

Mar 19, 2002
    At what price range are flaws acceptable at?
    Here is a clue, they exist in every price range.