1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Broken Koster Survivor

Discussion in 'Koster Knives' started by Ellasdad0204, May 10, 2017.

1. Ellasdad0204

Ellasdad0204

May 9, 2017
    Hi I am fairly new to custom knives and very inexperienced at using these forums and the internet. I was gifted a Koster Survivor for my 60th birthday a few years ago from my son since I spend alot of my time in the woods and I have always wanted a large knife. I have used it for a couple of years now fairly steadily and I have grown to enjoy it to the point it would be the first thing I grab off of my night stand when I wake up every morning. One day in January I had been chopping and storing wood in the barn that had been left from clearing shooting lanes out back when I plucked my blade into an old stump to answer the tele and I could feel an odd vibration through the handle. When I got back I pulled the blade up and the front 1/3 of the edge of the blade had cracked off .(at least thats how the edge felt, tiny micro jagged edges). When I was younger I had worked building die sets for the auto industry and we did plenty alot of our heat treating in house and I have seen many bad and many good work. I am almost positive that this A2 failed due to a mistake in the H/T process. Does anyone know of this happening before? Does anyone know how I can contact the manufacturer ? I doubt there is anything that can be with this knife but I would at least like to let them know that this happened. If anyone can point me in the right direction Id appreciate it , ive become very accustomed to my blade that I might even purchase another if I learn that this failure isnt something that happens regularly.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  2. Kohai999

Kohai999 Second Degree Cutter Platinum Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Did you try contacting Dan Koster via his website or Facebook? That might be a really good place to start.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

3. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    Wow. Interested to hear how this goes.