1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Brous Division Flipper

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by sinsanity, Apr 1, 2013.

1. sinsanity

sinsanity Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2010
    [​IMG]
    Hey guys what do you think about Brous' new division flipper? The lines remind me of the kershaw tilt that has been eating his wheaties! There's a video up on YouTube with the prototype example. Looks sexy and at a very reasonable price for what you're getting!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  2. Czechmate

Czechmate

Feb 24, 2011
    Looks good for the money, just not sure about the use of D2 steel though as there are lots of better choices out there IMO...

3. sinsanity

Dec 17, 2010
    Yeah he seems to love using D2 might just be cause it's easier to work with I'm assuming? Wouldn't mind seeing some 154cm or m4 instead from brous.

4. Czechmate

Czechmate

Feb 24, 2011
    I have no clue as for machinability of D2; one of my buddies who works in tool & die told me it is difficult enough to work and heat treat...

M4 would be awesome, or CPM154 or some good ole S35VN, or a nice Carpenter steel.

M390 would be my top pick for a sweet azz folder like that to really do it justice!

5. sinsanity

Dec 17, 2010
    Yeah m390 would be amazing on a knife like this but it's gotta be a pain to heat treat those exotic steels!

I'm also wondering how it would look in damascus that would be a huge chunk of damascus sexiness!

6. Bigfatts

Bigfatts

Mar 12, 2012
    Nothing wrong with some D2 done right. Tough as nails steel that takes and holds a very good edge. Like a lot of Brous' designs this one is a little outlandish for me but he does D2 well.

7. Czechmate

Czechmate

Feb 24, 2011
    True, you do make a good point... Is it regular D2? The newer CPMD2 would be :thumbup::thumbup::D

8. sinsanity

Dec 17, 2010
    Not sure which D2 it is but I agree brous' d2 is great stuff. Never had a problem with it on my silent soldier!

Just wishing he would expand his steel options!

9. Bigfatts

Bigfatts

Mar 12, 2012
    Probably just a case of "if it ain't broke".

10. Bugout Bill

Bugout Bill

Jan 2, 2013
    I don't normally like Jason Brous, but that is a mighty purty knife. Looks kind of like a cross between a Kershaw Tilt and a Microtech Select Fire.

11. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    To me, the handle looks extraordinarily uncomfortable. Something about that clip looks painful, and I don't really get handles that bend and/or taper to a point.

Seems to me the guy has created quite a niche for himself with his style over substance (like ergos, cutting profiles, lack of heat treat early on, etc) approach....so more power to him.

I see he has a limited edition "Coroner" blade out...in zombie green with blood spatter! Classy!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  12. sinsanity

Dec 17, 2010
    While I do agree that some of his designs are out there. In general they are still very functional! For example his silent soldier looks weird but is comfortable in hand but of course with a blade stock that thick it won't be the best slicer.

Nothing wrong with a little crazy green zombie knives. But to each their own!

13. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    It's got a 2.5 inch blade! What is it supposed to do, chop?!? :D

Zombie green? To me "over"...but whatever. Blood spatter? I'm sure the "anti-knife" crowd would love to catch a glimpse of that one.

As for "to each his own"....I agree. More power to him. Been watching the guy since his KutThroat Knives days, never got him, and I figured he'd fade away.

Go figure.

14. sloth357

sloth357 Platinum m0f0 Platinum Member

Jan 5, 2011
    My question is, does the flipper part itself, get in the way of the pocket.. On the SS flipper, that was the one design flaw that made me sell mine... And I heard he was going to make another SS flipper with a better flipper design so it didn't "push out" in the pocket..

Hopefully this one improved on that flaw.

And I think if he dropped his custom prices a bit.. he'd kick more ass :)

His last folder was pretty nice, minus the sloppy edge that I decided to fix and the roughness of the pocket clip.

Jason - Just add more hand finishing to the midtechs and keep the price point... please? :D

15. sinsanity

Dec 17, 2010
    Haha you got me there. But better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it?? I don't know haha still interesting to have guys like this explore the weirder side of things!

16. Hadji Flip Me Over

Hadji Flip Me Over

Mar 1, 2010
    Looks good. What's the price?

17. jwblack911

jwblack911

Dec 15, 2011
    Brous uses cpm d2 on some other folders he offers. I would assume the division will also have cpm steel.

I like this design but I know I wouldn't use it. I can't decide if I want it in my collection though. I do love the design. And the prototype seems unreal

18. jwblack911

jwblack911

Dec 15, 2011
    329$ and 10 for shipping

19. TacOpsEDC

TacOpsEDC

Feb 11, 2013
    Jason's work is truly amazing and I will ALWAYS promote and recommend his knives.

I own one of his "Silent Soldier flippers (Blackout Edition Limited to 50 Worldwide)".

The SSF also uses D2 and its extremely well done.

There's nothing wrong with D2 as long as its done right.

I have a bunch of other D2 Blades and have never had a problem.

Jason uses D2 in a lot of his Blades and I personally enjoy it.

I Pre-Ordered the Division Flipper the first day it went up for order and can't wait to get it.

If you want to get an idea of how it looks in the flesh, check out Jim Skeltons YouTube channel.

He actually purchased the one and only Prototype a few months ago, back when it was named the "Divine Flipper".

But the Prototype is pretty much exactly what you will receive, Jason will probably make some subtle changes but not much.

Get in on the Pre-Order while you can!!!

20. BladeChick777

BladeChick777

Jun 20, 2011
    After looking at that Prototype.. I'm intrigued.
    I like the overall design, beautiful lines, I like the blade shape, the CF really does it for me.
    But it's SO BIG!!! I used to love oversized knives but after lugging around the ZT 0560 and ZT 0301, I changed my mind and realized it wasn't needed.
    My Large Sebenza and Chokwe are about as big as I'm planning on going from now on.
    Though I do want a Spyderco Tuff.
    =]
    So... maybe.. if one comes up for trade later on down the road or something.
    I'm not sure I'd lug it around or not... and if I don't do anything with it, it goes.
    So we'll see.