Browning knife - anyone got one?

Just been wasting some time checking out some sites & came across 2 Browning knives that looked interesting but don't know anything about Browning, other than they make guns. The 2 models I liked were BR817, a 5" closed, Trailing Point lockback & BR377, 7" OAL Presentation Snakewood Fixed blade. Anyone here have one? If so, how is the quality? I'm assuming Browning knives are made in the US? Thanks for any input!

I have a Browning Mod.102 that I received as a gift. Seems to be a well made lockback. It says it is made in Japan on the blade.
Randy

They are all made in Japan . I own three brownings - Md.726 lockback, the bigger brother to it ( the model escapes me ) , and a presentation fixed blade . Well made knives for the money . I carry the 726 everyday , it is a well made and size effective knife .

I have one that says: "Made in the USA".

What's up with that??????????

Hey, thanks for the info! I've done a little more searching & didn't find Japan or the US associated with the knives but did find Germany. I guess it all depends on the Model No.!

I have a Browning model 520 stag trapper and I am pleased with the quality. The blade is stamped JAPAN.

BR520.jpg

- Frank

http://www.browning.com/products/ca...sp?ve=009G&cat_id=322&type_id=520&item=322520

Wolfman ,

You must have an old model ( keep it) . I read an article somewhere that said all models were Japan produced now . I will try to find it .

Anyway a good user knife, or so mine have been.

I have three, all the Featherlite models. One lockback, one mini-trapper, and one drop-point fixed-blade, all very good knives. Mine all have AUS8 steel, I believe, and take and hold a great edge. Kinda hard to sharpen without using a medium Arkansas or a diamond stone.
I have seen older German made ones, but all mine are made in Japan.

Well, no negative responses does it for me; looks like I'm getting a Browning. Ahhh! What the heck, I got a little tax refund money left, I'll get both of 'em.
frank k - I like the looks of your 520 stag handled trapper! I'll try & check that model out or something similiar. Looks like a nice EDC!

Just an aside....I have several Browing shotguns (same company?) parts made in Japan, assembled in Korea! Great guns!

I bought my father in law a small Browning Stockman. A very nice knife. I would prchase another of their blades.

Another positive vote for the Browning knives. Great quality, with reasonable prices too. Another plus is that you can still find them with good looking stag handles.

Originally posted by Clydetz
Well, no- I like the looks of your 520 stag handled trapper! I'll try & check that model out or something similiar. Looks like a nice EDC!

The 520 is a nice pocket knife! I really like the materials: AUS 8 steel, nickel silver bolsters and stag scales. Workmanship is first rate for a production knife. About the only thing I didn’t like was that a couple of the pins had sharp edges which could be felt due to the contours of the stag.

- Frank

W get a shipment every once and ahile, they are nice. Love the Ice storm! Paul

What's the history on those Brownings that are stamped "USA"?

Thanks..........

Hi,

Here is a short Browning history.

Late 60's- A line of Gil Hibben style hunters, and a folding 110 style knife.

Early 70's- Kabar contracted pocket knives.

The Kabar contract was dropped, and a series of U.S., German, and Japanese firms take over.

The Brownings are high quality knives, they have some of the nicest:) stag I've ever seen on a production knife.

The U.S. and German models are kinda rare, and pretty costly.

Based on the overwhelming positive responses to Browning knives and especially responses by some of the forumites I've grown to respect, I ordered a Browning Featherweight Folder Model 825 (instead of the larger Model 817) and a small Presentation Fixed blade in Snakewood Model 377. Loved the Stag Folding Skinner Model 509 but couldn't find one in my price range. There's always tomorrow! :D Thanks again for your help!

It's probably for the best that you didnt find a stag one in your price range. It's been my experience(especially lately)that stag handled knives need to be bought from somewhere that you are able to hand pick them personally. Too many knives are being sold with stag that doesnt match in either color or thickness. Bass Pro Shops carry Browning stag knives.

That 825 is a great knife; I have one, too. Cut myself pretty good on it cutting staghorn sumac horns a few years ago, was sharper than I thought! Sort of a pukka shape when opened, with no finger grooves or anything like that, so be carefull when stabbing things. Mine is my outdoor carry when I don't want to carry something heavy or bulky.

Back