Buck vs Case vs Boker slipjoints?

I have owned knives from all 3 manufacturers including German, USA and Chinese made Bokers. Boker currently has a line of knives that uses parts made in China but assembled in Germany, the fit and finish was pretty good though.
To answer your question, Case xx and the German made Bokers are pretty close in terms of quality. Buck could use a little help with fit and finish, and I don't care much for the factory edges on their traditional slip joint folders. However, Bucks 420hc is a pretty decent steel though.
If I had to pick one, I would definitely go with Case. IMO they are every bit as good as a German made Boker but at a lower price range.

Last edited:
I don't own a Boker, but do have a couple Case and Buck USA 301 and a couple offshore 371's and 389's.
The Buck 301 has the easiest pull, maybe a 4 or 4 1/2 if a SAK 91mm is a 5. The offshore are both a 5, give or take a 1/4. All have IMHO good walk and talk.
All the Bucks hold an edge better than the 2 Case I have. The Case are both around a 5.5 to 6 on the pulls. (both are the CV carbon steel)
The Case are finished a little better than the Bucks, but none of them, Buck or Case have any noticable gaps, and no blade wobble.
I should probably mention the Bucks I have, both USA and offshore, came with even grinds, and were sharp out of the boxes.
Given a choice, for a Stockman or Canoe pattern, at least, I would choose the Buck, because they are less expensive than the Case, and I like the lighter pulls.

Last edited:
You really can't go wrong with any of the three mentioned. If you have specific knives you're looking at I'm sure you'll get some valuable input.

Buck = weakest springs, good F&F and best heat treat for stainless blades
Case = very good F&F, decent H/T for both carbon and stainless blades, biggest selection
Boker (Solingen) = very good F&F, good H/T for their 1075 carbon blades

Personally I rate Case and Boker 1 and 1a, with Buck the third choice.

I'd actually put Böker Germany at the top. Mine all cost less than the CASE knives I've bought, I think their carbon is superior in edge taking&retention to CASE's cv. The Böker Whittler is an excellent compact pocket-knife offering 3 blades which are all credible.

CASE majors on huge assortment of handle choices and indeed patterns, generally good F&F. Unlike most people I'm not a huge fan of their cv actually prefer their stainless, but at least you have some choice here.

Buck is quite different from the others. A tough but rather spartan choice of handles, usually delrin or dynawood type stuff. Very workmanlike in construction, no nonsense or frippery. I much prefer their small knives like the 309 or 303, I've found the F&F very good and the snap OK even though the pull is lighter. For me a big plus point is all steel construction, I'm beginning to have a down on brass, don't like it much, their stainless is decent indeed but it is a bit more challenging to sharpen. The downside for me at least about Buck is their Sabre ground blades, I don't find them useful especially on a small blade knife.

One thing is clear, all 3 marques offer decent knives the enthusiast will be pleased to own. This is simply because all 3 approach the pocket knife from different perspectives.

Regards, Will

I like Case knives. They usually have their patterns worked out to a gnat's eyelash. The only weakness is the steel. They run it too soft for my taste.

For a working knife, I prefer Buck. Built like tanks. Best 420HC heat treat available. But unless you find an SFO someplace, there are only a few patterns and not many cover choices. Variety is a necessity for a knife knut.

I've had good luck with Boker knives. I have a couple in 440C which are well made, priced between a Case and a GEC. Fit and finish is good. The 440C is very well done. But you have to browse to find 440C in a Boker German knife. Not always available, but when they are, they are a good deal. Boker has knives that they make in Germany, mostly in 1075 Carbon steel, some in steel that approximates 420HC. Haven't tried those, so can't comment on the heat treat. Boker also has knives made in Asia and South America, which they Market under their sub-brands. But the sub brands all have Boker in the name. So sometimes it's hard to figure out what you are getting.

The only Bokers I've handled recently were from the Boker Plus line, made in China, and very well made. Stated to have 440C. Fairly limited patterns, I think only in synthetic colored scales. These are probably the least expensive among the brands you've listed, can be found for under $10 delivered sometimes.

Case has a very large variety, with some pretty nice patterns, handle materials, colors, etc. Generally more expensive than the others on the list.

Buck's slipjoints are pretty good value with their US made line. Their patterns are relatively few, but have a distinctive flair. My informal observation is that the Valox handled models are a bit more loose on fit and finish than the versions with fancier materials. Their earlier imported line was an excellent value, but they've since downgraded the steel on that line, and have expanded that line with patterns that look a little more generic.

How Boker tree brand knives that are assembled in Germany with Chinese parts compare to above choices?These have Germany on shield instead of Solingen,and have good fit ,finish and prices.Some of them are marked 440c.I have no idea what steel they use,but was checking out few of them and seem well made.

I thought the Tree Brand was/is Böker's premiere line, and were/are 100% German materials and manufacture?
I know the Plus and Magnum lines have components sourced from other than Germany, and they are not assembled in Germany.
The Böker Magnum Scout Knife, and the Böker Plus stockman and trapper I have seem like good knives, though.
At least on a per quality wise, as my Case and (USA) Buck's.
However, I was somewhat dissapointed to learn neither had the claimed 440C blades.

I thought the Tree Brand was/is Böker's premiere line, and were/are 100% German materials and manufacture?
I know the Plus and Magnum lines have components sourced from other than Germany, and they are not assembled in Germany.
The Böker Magnum Scout Knife, and the Böker Plus stockman and trapper I have seem like good knives, though.
At least on a per quality wise, as my Case and (USA) Buck's.
However, I was somewhat dissapointed to learn neither had the claimed 440C blades.

My understanding is that it will have Solingen stamped on the blade if it is 100% German made. If it just say Germany it is assembled in Germany with imported parts. I'm not sure the Tree Brand has any meaning as to where they are made.

O.B.

Which ones are best quality,best for money?best steel?

Best depends on what you're looking for in a knife. Durability? Looks? Lots of cover variation? Edge holding? Fit and finish? Will it be a working knife or pocket jewelry or a safe queen? My ranking, based on my preferences, is Boker Solingen, then Buck, then Case. Depending on your priorities, that list could be in any order and the choices could be clear or they could be murky.

I agree. My recently purchased and newly made stockman in 440C has wonderful steel.

waDAq9Q.jpg

Back