1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Build vs Buy

Discussion in 'Sword Discussion' started by ZekeTheGameFreak, Dec 26, 2016.

1. ZekeTheGameFreak

ZekeTheGameFreak

May 10, 2016
    So this christmas I was able to get some money money together to either build or buy a propane forge. If I buy can anyone recommend one $300 or under. I was looking at one from Devil Forge and it sounded good. If I build one, does anyone know a simple two burner forge plan they can point me toward?

2. Storm Crow

Storm Crow KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 12, 2006
    Probably be good to ask this over in Shop Talk. A propane forge is fairly simple to build. I use a single burner for all of my forging; you can only forge a small section in each heat, and I don't do forge welding, so a single burner does all I need.

I recommend the burner kits from Zoeller Forge, and there are examples of forges on his website. A propane forge essentially needs a burner and a shell to give shape to the insulation and provide a support for mounting the burner. I've made them from paint cans and coffee cans before.