buying w/o box / papers

any real downside to buying a CRK without box or papers? i have seen a couple for sale for 'reasonable' prices around, but wondering if there are issues, will crk be able to authenticate them? do spa treatments? how much does it hurt if one wants to resell ... ?

Hurts re-sale value-collectors want the whole package if they can get it. but works just as well as a user and no problems with CRK warranty
I would say the amount it hurts re-sale value would depend largely on what it is. Less for a plain Jane that likely will be a user then for a highly collectable.

I figure I saved about $40 on a large sebenza with wood inlays by buying it bare from a seller on blade forums. So in my case, the documentation, box, etc. was worth about that amount. It may vary for other people.

If you're buying a collectors item, it would be important. If you're not getting it from a reputable source, you need paper (DOB) card. If you just want a user, and you know what you're doing , save some $$$$$.

Honestly the only thing that would be important imo would be the birth card. Anything else can be replaced. I feel (me personally) the card adds just a tad bit character, esp for a discontinued/rare pieces. Additionally, for people looking for birthday pieces.

Back