1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Calypso 3.5

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by anthony cheeseboro, Jul 5, 2012.

1. I had been checking out the ZT 0550, and I think it is beautiful, but it is pretty heavy, and everyone says its blade geometry is not good for fine slicing. This morning, I saw that Grand Prairie Knives had gotten in the ZDP 189 version of the Calypso 3.5, and I checked one out today. I was impressed, it is light and very pocketable for a knive with a fairly long blade. I could really see it as a larger EDC. I know there have been threads about this knife, but can I have some fresh feedback here?

2. Shakyamuni

Shakyamuni

Aug 29, 2011
    I have the G10 VG-10 variety and I love the blade to handle ratio. It also has a nice thin handle and deep carry clip. Ticks all of the boxes for me! I am interested in the CF ZDP version too!

BTW, it is traditionally called the "Caly 3.5"

[​IMG]

3. powernoodle

powernoodle Power Member Gold Member Platinum Member

Jul 21, 2004
    The traits that jump out at me with the Caly 3.5 are the large blade to scale ratio, deep carry wire clip, sweet ergos and precision manufacturing. It feels like a well engineered and well made knife, and it is. And its good mountain lion repellent. Link.

I also would not characterize it as a "larger EDC". Everything is relative of course, but its quite smallish to medium in the pocket - in my view.

[​IMG]

4. Evany

Evany

May 7, 2007
    The Caly 3.5 is probably my favorite knife. I have one of the gray, super blue steel versions, and it is a delight to slice or cut anything with. Pretty much disappears in the pocket with the wire clip and small grips. Closed it's only slightly bigger than a Delica, yet it has 1/2" more blade. I'm a big fan of the deep carry wire clip, but it does bend easily if it gets caught on anything.

5. I really like the ergos on the Caly 3.5, and I will probably get the VG-10 version because I could stand to save some money, and VG-10 is plenty good, IMO. That said, I would not mind a larger knife in ZDP-189, but I think something like a Endura is more in my budget.

6. I know the Caly 3.5 is not actually large, but a 3.5" blade is fairly long and bigger than can be carried in many jurisdictions.

7. bh49

bh49 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 27, 2005
    It is great knife. I carried every day VG10 Caly3 since they came out, but it was replaced with Caly3.5 due to longer blade when this knife was released. I love both knives, but prefer Caly3.5 due to longer blade. Handle size and weight almost the same. Egros and slicing abilities are outstanding.

8. linuxology

linuxology Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 31, 2010
    The caly 3.5 is one of my favorites. It has a perfect blade size and is a true slicer.

9. SurfingSalmon

SurfingSalmon

Jan 11, 2011
    Yeah, definitely get the Caly 3.5 over the 0550 if you're concerned about weight and slicing. The Caly essentially disappears in your pocket with the deep carry wire clip. It took me a long time to carry other knives again a few months after I got my 3.5 in VG-10; it was awkward seeing a bit of the other knives stick out of my pocket. The Caly is very well suited for slicing, too. Very very veryyyyyyy, well suited.

Here's an old pic that I took of my Caly the day i got it.
    [​IMG]
    ^Sorry that you couldn't really see the knife, it disappeared, I don't know how!

EDIT: Also, why not, tomatoes red bell peppers.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  10. All of that tomato slicing reminds of all the sweet corn I have shucked using my Blue Manix 2!

11. D1omedes

D1omedes

May 3, 2009
    Roman hit all the important points. The wire clip makes the Caly 3.5 my favorite EDC. The fact that it took out a mountain lion puts to rest all those fans of sharpened crowbars. :p

12. gooeytek

gooeytek

Jul 12, 2011
    Ummm...those are red bell peppers.

13. GCG199

GCG199

Apr 26, 2001
    The Caly 3.5 is one of my favorite Spyderco knives.

I plan on getting the ZDP-189/carbon fiber version too.

14. SurfingSalmon

SurfingSalmon

Jan 11, 2011
    Oops! Looks like I goof'd!
    Yeah, I remember seeing that on the Spyderco forum, as Powernoodle above posted. Glad to see some life changing use with this particular blade.

15. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    Works well on oranges too...

[​IMG]

16. ezoption

ezoption

May 24, 2012
    I really like the look of the caly 3.5... Dang it.. I might have to go buy one now :/

17. That Caly 3.5 is tempting the heck out of me! I had been wanting a ZT knife, but I just love the design philosophy of Spyderco's FFG blades.

18. pwet

pwet

Feb 13, 2009
    thats a choice, you'll make everything you need with both for EDC. the caly will be more pocket friendly, it'll cut easier but if you have big hands the handle is quite thin and narrow, i got used to it but still ...

at this point i have enough knives to make compromises on pure cutting performance if i like a design, i have my share of sharpened prybars, if you keep them really sharp they'll work ok. if you need a knife to perform your everyday tasks efficiently go with the caly, if you just want a new fun edc to play with both will fit ...

that said, i love my super blue caly 3.5 :D
    [​IMG]

19. bh49

bh49 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 27, 2005
    Just get it and you will not regret.

20. stevewest

stevewest

Nov 25, 2006
    I have the super blue. All the points noted above are spot on. Its a great knife - I am going to have to pick up the other members of the family as the super blue has proven that this design really is one of Spydercos better efforts. Keeping it in perspective, I do not use it for really heavy cutting tasks. That usually falls to my Gayle Bradlley or m4/s90 Manix. Or s90 Para. Or s90/m4/390 Military....the list goes on. Thinking about it, tho, I am sure that the 3.5 could handle anything thrown at it. It is a heck of a slicer as are almost all of Spydercos offerings. Love this knife.