1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

camillus hawkbill 1

Discussion in 'Camillus Collector's Forum' started by TiSurvival, Mar 25, 2011.

1. TiSurvival

TiSurvival KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 7, 2006
    I rehandled a camillus hawkbill 1 and sold it to my brother to give as a gift to someone at work who is retireing. He wanted more info as far as when the knife may have been made. The knife is stamped "Camillus new york USA" on the opposite side it is stamped with a "1". Any info as far as dates the knife may have been produced would be greatly appreciated.

2. Phil Gibbs

Phil Gibbs Cutlery Student Platinum Member

Nov 11, 1998
    Big spread possible with only that info.

Can you post a pic; I may be able to narrow in down a bit.

3. TiSurvival

TiSurvival KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 7, 2006
    this is of the finished knife, i dont think i have any before pictures though.

Hope it helps

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Phil Gibbs

Nov 11, 1998
    Looks Good!

Best guess 1970 - 1990s.

Thanks for posting the pic. :thumbup:

5. TiSurvival

Jul 7, 2006
    Thanks for the help, what of the knife made you come up with those dates? Just curious.

6. Phil Gibbs

Nov 11, 1998
    Your description of the 3 line Camillus tang stamp implies 70s or later.

I believe the last run of the blades in the 00s we omitted the #1 stamp.

My memory is not what it used to be, but I am pretty confident I am in the ballpark.
    Was the original handle a wood grained brown delrin, swelled to the butt, with a large nickel silver clevis?

7. Vit_213

Vit_213

Feb 4, 2011
    Photo tang stamp would reduce this timeframe :)

Phil, I too have a question:
    When started #1?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  8. TiSurvival

Jul 7, 2006
    Don't remember if it was delrin or wood, but it did have that clevis.

9. CAMCO

CAMCO Moderator Moderator

Dec 29, 1999
    Vit-213,
    The model 1 hawkbill pruner (Camillus #07 pattern) was first made in 1946. It was made before that date, but it would have had a different model number (probably a 4 digit sales number). Camillus began using a new numbering system after WWII.

Tom Williams

10. Vit_213

Vit_213

Feb 4, 2011
    Thank you, Tom!
    Do you have catalogs of Camillus earlier than 1946?

11. tsellati

tsellati

Jan 21, 2006
    That is a beautiful way of presenting a knife. It also is a fine looking example. The one I have in my collection is not nearly at pretty as yours, but, she still keeps a remarkably sharp edge for an 'old gal'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one has a four-line logo that dates it to the WWII era (IIRC) -

[​IMG]

Tim

12. TiSurvival

Jul 7, 2006
    Thanks for sharing those pictures and for the kind words

13. Vit_213

Vit_213

Feb 4, 2011
    I bought this knife on ebay.
    Help me dating it.
    [​IMG]

14. Roxboro1

Roxboro1

Aug 25, 2012
    I just found a Camillus Hawkbill 1 the other day exactly like the last one pictured... Just like to thanks for all the great info.. especially the reason for the hole in the handle.. wish it still had the clevis..
    Thanks guys... second Camillus knife I've found in two weeks! The first was a fillet knife! Love my job!

15. orvet

orvet

Oct 11, 2005
    Here is an older hawkbill pruner. I am pretty sure it predates 1946.
    The second pic shows the Sword Brand tang stamp.
    The third pic shows the old model number; 1001

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Vit_213

Vit_213

Feb 4, 2011
    #1 from 1946 to 50s
    [​IMG]

17. SolWarrior

SolWarrior Banned BANNED

Sep 5, 2015
    I realize this is an old thread but I find myself drawn to older, classic knives. What was the main purpose of this blade design? Anyone? Thanks

18. citytransplant

citytransplant

Apr 12, 2008
    Good question. A quote from Esav Benyamin (a man who knows more about knives than I certainly ever will): "Hawksbill blades are miniature sickles, and work fine in agriculture and horticulture. Cutting rope is similar, since you are drawing the knife across a small cross-section, and the blade is always pressing closer to what you are cutting, never slipping away, the way a bellied blade would."

19. Vit_213

Vit_213

Feb 4, 2011
    My older Pruner (pre 1946)
    [​IMG]

20. citytransplant

citytransplant

Apr 12, 2008
    Nice 4 liner Vit. I find the small notch in the liners and handles curious. Do you know why the handle is notched?