1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Camping hatchet?

Discussion in 'Bear Mountain Tomahawks' started by wyldoliv, Feb 20, 2007.

1. wyldoliv

wyldoliv

Jan 5, 2007
    Hi
    Could anyone recommend a great, super light camping hatchet? I'm talking something small, but useful that could be affixed to my pack for the short 3-day trips where I take comfort over speed. I guess the most important thing is its weight--needs to be light. Reliability i'm not too worried about b/c it's only hatchet work, nothing too technical. Thanks!!

2. kaor

kaor

Feb 15, 2007
  3. NorthStarXO

NorthStarXO

Nov 29, 2001
  4. Amsoil

Amsoil

Jan 6, 2010
    Find someone that makes hatchets from Farrier files. They can be made light weight. The blade can be hollowed out in the upper part of the blade and use a short handle. Have it made with a longer handle then when you get it cut the handle down to a length you would be comfortable with. These heads being made of the file steel can be made tough and should hold a nice edge. Carry a small fine grit stone to hone the blade & keep it some what sharp after each use. I have found them to be tough and the handle when applied properly will hold well since it is forced into the large teeth of the file that is in the handle hole.

Hope this helps, Amsoil

5. Moengo

Moengo

Dec 14, 2009