1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Cam's "Workshop" tour...PIC HEAVY!

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by CamH_16, Apr 24, 2012.

1. CamH_16

CamH_16

Feb 5, 2012
    Whats up guys/girls thought it was about time I gave you a quick look at my "workshop" and since predominantly Beckers come here the most it seems relevant to post it here (kinda)…Anyway, heres a pic of some Beckers so this thread isn’t locked.

EDIT: This is an old thread...Lots of things have changed since then...

[​IMG]
    068 by CamH_16, on Flickr
    Staring from the “messy” room (corner of my garage)
    [​IMG]
    020 by CamH_16, on Flickr

First tool I bought… The cheap bench grinder. It’s actually pretty damn good for sanding down large amounts of micarta/G-10 and for rough stock removal… I removed the entire of the BK-2’s front guard with this.

[​IMG]
    022 by CamH_16, on Flickr
    Belt sander: It was promised to be an English Draper brand but got this Chinese one instead… Still pretty good but I would definitely prefer a HF 1”x30”.
    [​IMG]
    025 by CamH_16, on Flickr

Bench Vice: Used ALOT and doubles as my kydex press and its bullsh!t IMO if people say you need an expensive kydex press (A certain someone actually once told me that I should not mod my knives and make sheaths but should pay his “buddies” instead to do it…Not a fan of his anymore)

[​IMG]
    037 by CamH_16, on Flickr
    Since we’re talking about kydex its toaster oven time, highly recommended cos it’s a pain in the ass to do machete or large knife (4/9) sheaths with just a heat gun. This is just a regular cheapo $30 one from K-mart.

[​IMG]
    031 by CamH_16, on Flickr

Drill press: Not used that much but I’d rather get perfect scale holes every time than mess the occasional one up.

[​IMG]
    028 by CamH_16, on Flickr

Shop vac…Got this recently on account me having breathed in enough micarta dust to make an extra 10 sets of scales (I do wear a respirator but it still gets in…YES, it’s a good quality one and yes I’m wearing it right). This one is actually pretty good and blend the line between essential tool and comfort item.

[​IMG]
    029 by CamH_16, on Flickr

Random boxes and stuff:
    You can see the small bench vice I use for the rivet setter to the right.

[​IMG]
    035 by CamH_16, on Flickr

Rusty crap…

[​IMG]
    034 by CamH_16, on Flickr

Wood pile… Comes in handy sometimes

[​IMG]
    032 by CamH_16, on Flickr

Now on to the clean(er) part:
    The thing to the left with the wood boads and blue cloth is my kydex press… Pretty much free apart from the foam

[​IMG]
    003 by CamH_16, on Flickr

“Hutch” Shelf…Made from old wood and a box of tape to the right.

[​IMG]
    012 by CamH_16, on Flickr

Top shelf: WD-40, epoxy, glasses, gun blue etc etc. The thing to the right of the yellow UHU is what I use for doing drain holes (one of the most stupid things…if you get water in your sheath it will never completely drain out even with that hole)

[​IMG]
    004 by CamH_16, on Flickr

Middle: Stuff that didn’t fit on the top shelf…Sanding pad for doing the edges on kydex, rags, WD-40 and gun blue pens, metal rod for burning the holes through the webbing.

[​IMG]
    007 by CamH_16, on Flickr

“Sharpening” drawer has sharpening supplies? Haha. Lots of sandpaper, paper towels, cheap strop (I DO have better ones) and the strop on the left it what I use for convexing as leather IMO has the best density for this…Tried mouse pads, books, bunch of paper towels…nothing comes close. Another tip, spray WD-40 on your sandpaper, makes it last longer and protects the blade and keeps it cool and stuff when sharpening.

[​IMG]
    011 by CamH_16, on Flickr

Magazine paper, best thing to test the edge on since its finer than regular paper. If it can cut a squiggly line through it and shave hair…Its sharp enough. Also, gloves, kinda obvious but protection from paint stripper, gun blue, sanding, dremel, grinders etc etc.

[​IMG]
    009 by CamH_16, on Flickr

Frequently used tools and stuff, I don’t think I need to explain what these are.

[​IMG]
    016 by CamH_16, on Flickr

Below the tools drawer is the ‘knife supplies” drawer… The front left box is full of Chicago screws, rivets, flaring dies (kydex rivet setter), you know, that kinda stuff. Front right box is small pieces of G-10/micarta that is probably still useful on a small knife. Back left if kydex offcuts which are probably only useful for ferro rod loops and stuff and finally the back right bit is a coil of nylon webbing.

[​IMG]
    018 by CamH_16, on Flickr

Random box of stuff: Used once and then left there.

[​IMG]
    014 by CamH_16, on Flickr

Ok, so after typing this all out my brain is now mush but if you have any questions or criticisms just post it.
    I’ll do a how to for that glowing stuff when I get my BK-17 or something…eventually.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  2. RogueBowie

RogueBowie

Nov 16, 2011
    ...You're HOW old!?!? I barely had a screwdriver at that age!!!!

3. CamH_16

CamH_16

Feb 5, 2012
    15...Nice to see you upgraded to gold aswell. Will have to do that soon.

4. RogueBowie

RogueBowie

Nov 16, 2011
    Yeh. Kept putting it off. Don't really have a knives to sell or PM's to send to warrant it, but I do appreciate the forum and just got a promotion so I figured I'd pass it forward.

5. CamH_16

CamH_16

Feb 5, 2012
    When I get to many knives I'll get gold myself and sell them off...Customized Ka-Bars for all lol.

6. wasatchdan

wasatchdan

Jan 6, 2007
    That's an excellent shop you have going on, Cam. Very nice.

7. CamH_16

CamH_16

Feb 5, 2012
    Thanks!

8. C_Tanner

C_Tanner

Feb 21, 2011
    Awesome shop! Would love to have some of that. Just don't have anywhere to put it. I have a meager 1-car garage. I don't do kydex (as much as I want to) so I get by.

9. CamH_16

CamH_16

Feb 5, 2012
    Only thing I hate about kydex is it takes awhile to get right, OA shape, retention...crap like that. My first sheaths were horrible. But what about your "man cave"? From the pics I saw it looked pretty empty...But I guess theres always the problem with kydex dust/micarta and stuff going in your gear

10. C_Tanner

C_Tanner

Feb 21, 2011
    My Man Cave is more of a gear locker than a workshop.

11. emperorvince

emperorvince

Feb 26, 2012
    Great shop Cam ! I just picked up a HF 1x30 along with some other little tools.

12. CamH_16

CamH_16

Feb 5, 2012
    I wish I lived in the US cos those HF 1"x30"s definetly look pretty good...not great but good haha. Hope to see some of your mods if you get the chance.

13. emperorvince

emperorvince

Feb 26, 2012
    They are pretty good, but like you said "not great". But for $40 and with the right sandpaper..I have no complaints. This is actually my second one..as the first one perished in a flood. As for mods..I just do a lil jimping and plan on trying my hand at making some micarta (which im starting in 5 min lol). The only thing I mod right now is my BMW 5 series and a race bike (gsxr) that I dont race :rolleyes:

14. MrKnifekid

MrKnifekid

Aug 1, 2011
    Oh wow.

that's a heck of a shop.

I like. :D

15. CamH_16

CamH_16

Feb 5, 2012
    Its nothing compared to what some people have but thanks :)!

16. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    Word to the wise. The harbor freight 1x30's are very hit and miss. Tracking is AWFUL on the one I have, and sometimes it barely runs at all. I ended up buying a Rikon one instead, and it was like night and day. Seriously recommend you just buy quality. I'm kinda regretting the money I've dropped on sanders when I should have just gotten a real knifemaking grinder to start. Oh well. The Rikon is doing what I want it to for now, although it could use a longer platen.

Shop looks nice. MUCH cleaner than mine. Mine is covered in steel dust everywhere, despite the shop vacs. If I had the money, I'd buy one of those large dust collectors. Those are crazy expensive though! New grinder and HT oven first.

17. CamH_16

CamH_16

Feb 5, 2012
    I guess for $40 it will never be THAT good a tool. Plus I just spent 130 on this new one so I guess I'm sticking with it...

18. oXide

oXide

Feb 16, 2012
    Have you heard of the BK11/14 or the BK13?!

By the way, really nice workshop, mine consists of an empty spool in my bedroom.....

19. Chameleonbear

Chameleonbear

Aug 14, 2008
    Nice shop man! Mine is a bench at my parent's garage. I need to get a better spot. I been thinking about getting a space in the garage in the basement. It would be a whole lot closer than the parent's house.

20. mrn8

mrn8

Jun 8, 2007
    That's not messy at all! I do my reloading, knife mods, woodworking, and whatever else I can think of on my 2 benches in the basement. It's a huge mess.