Can a man own to many Swiss Army Knives?

I have a question Can a man own to many Swiss Army Knives?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I do. It happens pretty quickly when you start buying on eBay, picking up four or five at a time to get one you want. It does give one incentive to tinker, though.

Yeah, definitely you can have too much of anything. All things in moderation. I used to over accumulate, and one day I woke up and looked at all the stuff I had that was sitting in drawers and on shelves and not being used in my everyday life, and asked myself what the heck was I doing?

After my great downsize, I felt liberated. Too many possessions can end up owning you. A couple of different SAK's is all you need. Separate your needs and wants and go out and live life by doing things with the people in your life that matter to you. Give them some of your extra SAK's.

I own a few SAK's and each serves its own purpose. I used to rock the Rambler on my key chain as it took care of 70% of the small tasks everyday. I cracked a scale badly though, and have not sent it in to be repaired. I also have a Climber that used to be my EDC, but now comes out rather often for "Date Night" with the lady. I find that the corkscrew, scissors, and toothpick get their use on these nights. I also use that one for trimming up the beard about 99% of the time. Best scissors period. I have been EDC-ing a Farmer ever since high school though, and cannot find anything better for my daily life. After a few years in the pocket, the Alox scales take on a wicked cool patina too. I think too much is too much, but if you can specify a purpose for any knife or tool you carry, its worth owning in my opinion. No more - no less: just what you need from day to day.

No, can't ever have enough SAKs. There is even a SAK collectors site. Some guys have 100's. I only have about 40 (use 4 or 5); others are vintage discontinued models going back as far as 1908.

Rich

After my great downsize, I felt liberated.

This demonstrates mental wellness. I am not quite there yet, though I have fantasized about it. There is part of me who envies the man with 1 -3 each of guns, knives, MTs and lights. I probably have 40 guns, 130+ knives, 60 (?) MTs and SAKs, and too many lights to count. I do love them though, and ASAIK am otherwise mentally balanced, so I'm okay with my current condition.

There is a 70% chance that I will buy a Springfield XD45 3.3" Mod.2 tomorrow. And so it goes.

Depends on what type you are. I'm a collector. My wife is not. Collectors collect. Over the last 3 decades we've had to smooth out the friction points our being different types creates. I have a knife collection, a gun collection, an American pressed glass collection, a mineral collection, a gem stone collection, a would bowl/calabash/box collection, a watch collection, and others. I try to focus the collections which is what I'm attempting to do with my knives now.

Last edited:
This demonstrates mental wellness. I am not quite there yet, though I have fantasized about it. There is part of me who envies the man with 1 -3 each of guns, knives, MTs and lights. I probably have 40 guns, 130+ knives, 60 (?) MTs and SAKs, and too many lights to count. I do love them though, and ASAIK am otherwise mentally balanced, so I'm okay with my current condition.

There is a 70% chance that I will buy a Springfield XD45 3.3" Mod.2 tomorrow. And so it goes.

I was once there, brother power noodle. Not 40 guns but about 25 of them. They are all mostly gone now, the kids, grandkids, or sold off. I'm down to just three handguns, and one thing I noticed as a by product, my shooting has got way better. No more switching around between guns on the range. I have just the 9mm Glock that I use once in a while, the old Ruger standard model I got just after high school for 39.95, and my little NAA mini .22 revolver that lives in my pocket now that I'm licensed to carry here in Texas. Two rifles and thats it. My whole gun collection is down now to just those guns. With less guns, I'm more into the feel for what I have left.

I have my knife collection down to where I can hold my entire collection in the palm of one hand. I guess I'm not a collector anymore. Now when I slip a hand into a pocket, the knife I grab feels soooo familiar it's like its part of me. I can't begin to describe how liberating it was to dissolve my collections of knives, guns tools, and fishing gear. I find that in my retirement, getting out and living life is more fun than obsessing about inanimate objects.

Depends on what type you are. I'm a collector. My wife is not. Collectors collect. Over the last 3 decades we've had to smooth out the friction points our being different types creates. I have a knife collection, a gun collection, an American pressed glass collection, a mineral collection, a gem stone collection, a would bowl/calabash/box collection, a watch collection, and others. I try to focus the collections which is what I'm attempting to do with my knives now.

Wow that's a lot of collections! Great to have something you enjoy though, whether it's few or many. I've never gotten that into collecting, but I do enjoy the few I have.

Right answer. Collecting is a fine hobby, but if you are primarily a user, too many to choose among can be a problem. It makes your head too sluggish and slows you down trying to decide which to pocket before heading out to your days’ doings. Formerly, I was an accumulator, not collector, until finally coming to my senses, giving away some and keeping the others for sale or gifts only. Now I’m down to 5 in different sizes and purposes and find that just right for me. But my previous stage was not without some benefit because I learned what worked for me and what did not.

I have a lot of SAKs, certainly more than I need. I'd say more SAKs than any other category of knife. However, I know exactly which ones I will carry and use most. My black Executive is still going strong after almost 18 years, and I was carrying my Spartan w/mini-screwdriver, but have taken more to my basic Alox Pioneer in its place. So the Executive and Pioneer win out for me.

TBH, it was jackknife's post about his Tinker's scale breaking so easily that mostly turned me from my Spartan to my Pioneer. I love that every tool on my Pioneer sees use, usually daily. Plus it's almost bomb-proof for a pocketknife.

Jim

No....you can't be too rich, too good lookin' or own too many SAKs. :cool:

Last edited:

Keep it up

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

You sound completely normal to me...... :thumbup:

There was a time when I probably had too many. That was pre marriage, kids, etc. I sold everything that I truly didn't love, or those I had duplicates or triplicates of. It feels good to pare down.

Back