1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Can I strip my blur scales?

Discussion in 'Kershaw Knives / Zero Tolerance' started by orangish ducktape, Apr 29, 2012.

1. orangish ducktape

orangish ducktape

Oct 26, 2011
    Can I strip the black coating off of the Blur scales so that I can get them anodized?
    If so, what is the best process of doing this?

Thanks,

-orangish ducktape

2. jimw451

jimw451

Oct 11, 2011
    Don't know about anodizing, but I used media blasting to remove the black coating off mine. Unfortunately I used a large medium and it's taking a while to get them polished back down, but I work on it every now and then. Use a small media to blast them if possible or Dremel has some neat attachments that may do the job, but I haven't tried them.

[​IMG]

3. camoninja

camoninja

Feb 11, 2007
    You can do as stated above. Or you can let the scales soak in Grease Lightening. I"ve done my flashligbts this way.

4. oregonknifenerd

oregonknifenerd

Dec 5, 2011
    I agree that greased lightning works well.

5. orangish ducktape

orangish ducktape

Oct 26, 2011
    Are the trac-tec inserts easy to take off and put back on?

-orangish ducktape

6. jimw451

jimw451

Oct 11, 2011
    I slooooowly peeled the inserts out. Adhesive is intact and ready to put back in when I'm ready. Just be slow and steady.

7. OvalmanPA

OvalmanPA

Dec 5, 2011
    If you're going to send them out to get re-anodized, most places will strip the old anodizing off before doing the new color. The place I was thinking about having some done does this.

8. CLICKBANGBANG

CLICKBANGBANG

Oct 12, 2010
    True. Most places will sand or media blast before applying anything. They will re-blast it even if it had been blasted or chem stripped. It is cheap insurance that thier coating will stick.

9. bluejayburly

bluejayburly

Jan 25, 2010
    There is some stuff I bought at Kragen/O'Riley that is called "Aircraft Paint Stripper" it is some foul smelling stuff, comes in a spray can and liquid goo.

It will strip paint and anodizing I think. I have used it on a honda valve cover to remove the crinkle coating that was on there.

10. orangish ducktape

orangish ducktape

Oct 26, 2011
    Could you email me the place you were thinking of? I have not been able to find anyone that will do small scale anodizing.
    Thanks,

-orangish ducktape

11. OvalmanPA

OvalmanPA

Dec 5, 2011
    I'll just tell you up front that this place had (if I remember correctly) a minimum cost of $128 or $134. That is there minimum price. This is kind of why I haven't gotten anything done as the price "per piece" for only 6-10 pieces was to high for me.