1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Can you handle it !

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by pitdog, Sep 9, 2012.

1. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    What I like about really small fixed blades is that they can be carried as a back-up ,or even as a main blade if you are a minimalist, and can be fitted with a full size handle when needed !

I knocked up a handle for a couple of my little blades today, 1st up was my JK LDK ~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With handle fitted you can then do tasks usually associated with larger knives such as battoning this branch in half ~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up was my Breeden Bugaboo ~

[​IMG]

To point up a stick this size without the improvised handle would have taken me quite some time and left me with a sore hand. With the handle it was finished in no time at all !

[​IMG]

Couple more pics from today~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chinpo

Chinpo

Aug 25, 2007
    Awesome idea. I'd never considered doing that before. My handle-less knives usually end up with a cord wrap and that's it.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  3. nickortizzle1035

nickortizzle1035

Dec 30, 2009
    faaaancy!

4. RWT

RWT

Mar 15, 2011
    Now you have me thinking I can get by with my BHK Tiger Knapp. It is my UH OH set up in my pack.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. TheGame

TheGame

Sep 24, 2008
    I've done this to a few smaller knives before. Works very well for what they are. :thumbup:

6. DOC-CANADA

DOC-CANADA

Apr 14, 2006
    Way to think outside of the box, pitdog. :thumbup:

Doc

7. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    Afraid I can't take credit for the idea Doc, I think it was IA Woodsman that I first saw doing it !

[youtube]hu-w7iA7CYA&feature=plcp[/youtube]

8. sicily02

sicily02

Nov 23, 2005
    Nope I can not handle it:eek:

Unless I am in the my knife making shop:D.

Ok, ok I might try something like what you did there pitdog lol.

Nice job.

Bryan

9. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    I bet a Bugaboo with real scales would make one heck of a pocket knife eh Bryan !

10. LupaWolf

LupaWolf

Mar 24, 2008
    Excellent notion.
    Good work, good pics.
    Thanks for the share.

11. sicily02

sicily02

Nov 23, 2005
    Pitdog, Yea I think that would be cool too. I have made some other designs that were that small with 1/8" thick handles.

Bryan

12. LG&M

LG&M

Dec 19, 2005
    [​IMG]
    Thats why I carry my TOPS Key B with enough cord the lash a handle or make a fire bow. Great pic's Pit dog.

13. sicily02

sicily02

Nov 23, 2005
    LG&M, I love how that blade shape is so curved.

Bryan

14. LG&M

LG&M

Dec 19, 2005
    It's a good little knife. I like it more then I thought I would.

15. Killinumsoftly

Killinumsoftly

Apr 14, 2013
    Very nice handle esp for one improvised in the woods. I just tried something similar the other day with my harpoon type knife I just made. It was my first knife that I made at home and I wanted to see how a small handle and also a longer spear handle could be made and how fast I could do it.
    But your handle looks great I like it a lot.