1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

carbon steel mora has a stainless outer layer?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by JV3, Jul 17, 2012.

1. JV3

JV3 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2010
    the mora robust is only my 2nd carbon steel mora and i noticed how shiny and slippery the finish is for such a low-cost knife. on closer inspection, i noticed the spine has a small area that's just as shiny and slippery as the sides. could it be that it has a stainless outer layer? hard to believe someone would mirror-polish the sides, let alone a piece of the spine too for such a low cost knife. i'm thinking it's a flap that folded over from the side...thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    I think that's just an artifact of the stamping process and may be where some material was proud of the acceptable spine level and was ground down.

3. Last Visible Canary

Last Visible Canary actively parsing hurf durf

Nov 28, 2006
    If you want to know, hit it with some vinegar or metal etch (jasco, 'metal prep' phosphoric acid, or various other acidic compounds), or lemon juice. All will etch the carbon faster than the stainless. If it's even top to bottom and no lamination line shows up, it's all carbon.

Of course you'll then have an etched blade, no longer shiny and polished.

4. Halberdier

Halberdier

Apr 3, 2010
    It's carbon all the way through and it is mirror polished when made. How they do this with $5-6 knives (price in Sweden) is a good question, but they do that and much more and that's why we love them like we do. :thumbup:

5. JV3

JV3 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2010
    i see...thanks guys!