"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Jack, the knife and newspaper clipping would bring back memories to my late dad (he had an engineers knife which I think I recall looking a little different). He, along with four of his brothers, served in WW II at the same time. My dad was the oldest of the five. As a small child my grandmother showed me the banner with five blue stars that she displayed in her window. All survived and only one was wounded.

that is amazing! hopefully only a minor wound?

I'm having trouble with posting quote's from other members. I click on quote and then click on insert quotes in my reply then I get a pop up that says "the selected messages cannot be found". Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

That's an amazing contribution Jerry, I'm so glad to hear they all made it. They were certainly the greatest generation :) If you'd like one of my old WW2 newspapers, please PM me an address, and I'll send you one :thumbsup:

Me too, my dad didn't recognise me, thought I was selling insurance or something! :rolleyes:

Thanks but we have quite a few photos and news clippings from his time in India and the Himalayas. Unfortunately all of his brothers passed away years ago and their children aren't particularly interested in their service. I have a photo from 1935 with two of the brothers in their Marine uniforms. They were called back up right after Pearl Harbor.

Hey guys, it's been a minute, but I wanted to start sharing again.

I turned my HDR off, I'm not zooming in, and I'm on an iPhone 6. It keeps saying my pics are too large, no matter what the setting.

Please, help me. Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, it's been a minute, but I wanted to start sharing again.

I turned my HDR off, I'm not zooming in, and I'm on an iPhone 6. It keeps saying my pics are too large, no matter what the setting.

Please, help me. Thanks in advance.
Are you directly uploading or using a hosting site? If uploading directly go to your app store and get yourself an image resizer. Use it to reduce your file size to below 1meg before uploading.

A Son Story, or maybe a Jeep Story. Also with Knives.

(Definitely a Son Story.)

This guy, my second-oldest, living an hour away...
pNjZwR6.jpg

... has been painting these guys...
kLvnTRA.jpg

lUxhAns.jpg

BMqkkK8.jpg

paaNb6P.jpg

... and we'd been actively talking about getting back to the Gettysburg battlefield together, looking for a When. I'd taken the kids often when we were all younger, but it had now been years.

Then?

This guy, my oldest, currently stationed in CA...
ABPOAJn.jpg

... showed up in my PA kitchen, as a Surprise (!!!!!!!!!):
MpkAXrm.jpg

(actual footage, taken through my tears)

... and I took a sudden day off, and the top off my already doorless Jeep, and dragged the backseat back in...

nl8rJXV.jpg

(before)

... and my oldest son and I gathered up Son II and headed to Gettysburg and had one of the best days we've ever had together. OF EVER.

We reserved a tour with a Licensed Battlefield Guide, an older gentleman who upon arriving at the Jeep stopped and asked, "This is your car?" (Yes.) "This is the vehicle we're taking?" (Yes.)

Pause.

"Cool!"

0xGdzGX.jpg

(from the site where Reynolds fell.)

A perfect vehicle for our perfect day, the open views and ease of access and the part where it's just way freaking cool and I finally got to share that with [two of] my guys. I so loved riding along with my mangrown sons, my oldest driving, in my Jeep. It was an integral part of everything great about our day. [Stuff alone can't fix anyone's life, but the right stuff at the right time? Oh, can it make a sweet difference.]

Son II and I hopped in and out of the back all day. His footprint:
BIVGbQZ.jpg

Pennsylvania Men:
JoZrUqV.jpg

Knife content, or: what I had in my pocketses:
TJEuHot.jpg

My beloved barlow broken in right proper by @Modoc ED, a Fiddleback Forge Stubby Muk (the WLST® of fixed blades :D) and the rotten banana #14 that Bob Andrews (@rma100) surprised me with a few weeks before he died and that I've carried, gutted, ever since. (@Jack Black, nothing else will come close to my 'knife of 2017', so there you have it.)

Signs in the Visitor Center/Museum indicated that no weapons were allowed on the premises; fortunately, my pocket tools and I went in, through, and about without incident. (I was prepared to run back to the Jeep and stow 'em, if need be.) I loved having knives that mean so much to me along for this memorable ride, literal and metaphorical.

Further knife content: the entire day and my ongoing (re)reading have led directly to my newest Fiddleback, the bolstered Oreo Esquire, because this is exactly how my brain works:

xZ8QvLD.jpg

o_O

I'm thankful beyond words for the day with my young men, for them, and for how everything came together.

~ P.
I'm glad for you! I just had to say, those portraits are AMAZING!:thumbsup:

This forum is about traditional folding and fixed blades knives, but IMO, it is nothing more than a GEC sell center. GEC does not support the forum, the forum knife is a business transaction. GEC needs a subforum, and maybe one of these dealers, treating this place like a kiosk in a mall, could step up and moderate. This forum is ridiculous with GEC, example, I am looking for a knife with 50$ to spend, first 10 answers, GEC #whatever for a little more dollar. Its stupid and takes away from the value of this forum. I have been here enough years to have seen a difference. This is just my opinion, and I might be a minority, but I am not alone.

It does seem that way sometimes, and there are times when I have also thought that this is the "GEC Subforum, discussions of other brands tolerated but not encouraged" but then I go look through a few pages and see just how many threads are actually about GEC knives and there are less than I thought.

Go scroll back through the first three pages of the forum, looking at titles only, and you'll see a handful of GEC pattern-specific topics, but plenty of topics about a specific pattern (stockman, whittler, etc), topics about Schrade, several about Case or a specific Case pattern, a dedicated Rough Rider thread, SAKs, Christie, Colonial, Puukos, several custom makers.

I think what you may be seeing is that, other than GEC, there are not many makers of new pocket knives that are doing a lot of things of interest to the current generation of Traditional knife buyers. The change you have seen over the years is a result of GEC finally hitting their stride, and producing what people are looking for right now. When I first joined, there was a LOT more discussion about Case knives. GEC was still the new kid with some overpriced, somewhat chunky products with nail-breaker pulls and dull edges. Now they are the ones to beat in the current-production, affordable production collector market.

I guess it's like hanging out on a gun forum wanting to talk about your Colt revolvers, but everybody there is talking about their new S&W semi-autos which don't interest you. You wish they'd go off and have a S&W semi-auto forum so you could sit there and talk about Colt revolvers with the remaining handful of people who share those same interests with you.

Not much to do other than pick out those topics of interest to you and pass by the ones that don't.

I'm having trouble with posting quote's from other members. I click on quote and then click on insert quotes in my reply then I get a pop up that says "the selected messages cannot be found". Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong.
Hey Randy, I don't have a specific answer, but any time a ghost in the machine pops up I try a few simple things. Log out of your BF account, close your browser, then shut the device down. Then reverse the steps.

Other things to consider: is it continual or sporadic? Might be internet slow downs causing time outs. Can you try another internet connection? Does it happen on more than one device, say a laptop and a phone? Could be device-specific or browser specific.

Finally, have you looked at the Tech pages? Might be something there.

Good luck!

Hey Randy, I don't have a specific answer, but any time a ghost in the machine pops up I try a few simple things. Log out of your BF account, close your browser, then shut the device down. Then reverse the steps.

Other things to consider: is it continual or sporadic? Might be internet slow downs causing time outs. Can you try another internet connection? Does it happen on more than one device, say a laptop and a phone? Could be device-specific or browser specific.

Finally, have you looked at the Tech pages? Might be something there.

Good luck!

Just downloaded Firefox and in seems to work.

This forum is about traditional folding and fixed blades knives, but IMO, it is nothing more than a GEC sell center. GEC does not support the forum, the forum knife is a business transaction. GEC needs a subforum, and maybe one of these dealers, treating this place like a kiosk in a mall, could step up and moderate. This forum is ridiculous with GEC, example, I am looking for a knife with 50$ to spend, first 10 answers, GEC #whatever for a little more dollar. Its stupid and takes away from the value of this forum. I have been here enough years to have seen a difference. This is just my opinion, and I might be a minority, but I am not alone.
It may look like that at first sight, but if you are open minded, you'll discover a lot of other topics, Schrade, Winchester, Queen, Rough Rider and many non US maker. But the blind sees only what he hears speaking about...

It does seem that way sometimes, and there are times when I have also thought that this is the "GEC Subforum, discussions of other brands tolerated but not encouraged" but then I go look through a few pages and see just how many threads are actually about GEC knives and there are less than I thought.

Go scroll back through the first three pages of the forum, looking at titles only, and you'll see a handful of GEC pattern-specific topics, but plenty of topics about a specific pattern (stockman, whittler, etc), topics about Schrade, several about Case or a specific Case pattern, a dedicated Rough Rider thread, SAKs, Christie, Colonial, Puukos, several custom makers.

Yes I do believe there are a lot of GEC fan boys and girls here and yes I also am a fan however, I took JC's advice and just looked at the first 5 pages. I found that there were a few GEC threads but there were far more threads that were very diverse with a wide range of knives and patterns.

I share your sentiments Tom :thumbsup: The Buffer Girls were not just a feature of the wars though. Chin may recognise at least one of the locations in this drama about the Buffer Girls, Diamonds in Brown Paper, which contains some genuine footage :thumbsup:

Further discussion in the Lounge folks? :thumbsup:

@Jack Black , I played your linked video, and then found myself watching the rest of it on YouTube. When was this movie made, and how accurate do you think the portrayal of "buffer girls" is? I enjoyed it, although I think only understood half of the dialog. I need a Yorkshire ->American English translation. :D

This is one of the reasons I turned my attention to French knives and other overseas Cutlery. I even tried to get a few threads going. I just got tired of reading, "GEC" and, "great shot" or, "great pic." I dont even visit the What are you Totin thread anymore even though I know it is the most diverse thread we have. Anyways, just wanted you to know that you are not alone.

Back