1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Jul 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    LOVE that Photo Jack- good find and mate your are right- I was surprised to see the old ways still exist - good though!

MUST ring you soon, I miss having a chat Jack!

2. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Imagine working 'nose to the grindstone' in those old cold and damp water-powered cutlery hulls! :eek:

It is always a real pleasure to hear from you my friend :) :) :thumbsup:

3. r redden

r redden Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2015
    Jack I see you posted @ 3:38 EST this morning I keep forgetting you guy's are 5 hours ahead of us. I took this shot on the back deck at 6:58 am to show the sun is just starting to come up here.

[​IMG]

Bugdoc likes this.
  4. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Hey Randy :) Yeah, my screen says I posted at 6.38am, but I don't think it was that early, I might have to look at my settings :thumbsup: Nice to see the dawn where you live my friend :) We have had a strange week with the weather here, last weekend was glorious sunshine, then we had two days of non-stop rain, followed by more summer weather. Today it is rainy and overcast :( I changed my plans about what I was doing today, hoping for better weather tomorrow ;) :thumbsup:

5. mrknife

mrknife Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2010
    went to the big Patek Philippe exhibition at Cipriani's yesterday, got to sit down at the bench and take a part a 215 movement IMG_0720.JPG

Attached Files:

6. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    So, beside your many other talents, sometimes you are mrwatch??
    :)

7. herder

herder Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2007

Absolutely fascinating!!! It appears that more than a keen eye and steady hand are necessary for that work.

mrknife likes this.
  8. mrknife

May 9, 2010
    jack of all trades Charlie, master of none haha

9. mrknife

May 9, 2010
    indeed, took about 8 minutes because of all the scrutiny, a bunch of people and the patek watchmaker were watching as I took this apart. its a less complex manual wind movement compared to their other calibres, but the appreciation for the craftsmanship is still there. He did put it back together fairly quickly.

10. herder

herder Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Very cool, It certainly looks like the comparative complexity of surgical procedures.

mrknife likes this.
  11. Bugdoc

Bugdoc Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 29, 2016
    Mr. K, begs the question of why you were taking your watch apart. It wan't broken, was it? (Aren't these the ones that are so bullet proof that you don't own it, you're just safeguarding it for the next generation? ;))

mrknife likes this.
  12. mrknife

May 9, 2010
    this was part of their exhibits, you were able to sit down and tinker with patek philippe training movements. id have to liquidate my entire collection to afford a Patek :( and by entire collection id mean everything, knives (all sorted pieces) watches (wrist and pocket) and coins. its too rich for my blood and I currently have no desire for a patek piece although I can appreciate their standing :)

13. r redden

r redden Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2015
    Jack looks like you had a blast I'm glad you got to go.

mrknife likes this.
  14. mrknife

May 9, 2010
    i sure did, well worth the hour wait on that line

15. AShearer

AShearer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Fascinating picture Jack. Being a mechanical watch fan, I totally get it! Must have been a cool experience.

mrknife likes this.
  16. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Not sure where to post this but wanted to share my weekend project.
    I had some Cypress flooring left over from a deck I built and decided to turn it into a couple display cases. I made them stackable, where they kind of lock together, to keep them together better. Also, have the option of making more to add to them. I'm also enjoying being able to cf & ce the knives easier. I like how they turned out! Let me know what you think!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. AShearer

AShearer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2016
    I think really nice work Mark! Would love to see the insides? Did you rabbit in a floor?

Peregrin likes this.
  18. dannyp

dannyp Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I like those! It's a clean, simple design and I think that knotty cypress looks really good. Please share some more pics when you get them loaded up. I'm interested to see how you finish out and organize the interior.:thumbsup:

19. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Beautifully made! I keep most of my knives in glass top cases, they look knice like that! :D

20. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Thanks Alan, Dan and Jeff! I'll work on some picture of the inside. Might have some knives in it though :D
    I used some 1" foam and wrapped it with black felt. Yes, the floor (3/16" ply) and the glass fit into a rabbit joint.:thumbsup:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 4:53 PM