"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

My car is in the shop today for repairs, which motivates me to ask if you remove all your cutlery if you have to leave your vehicle at a service facility.
I always use the same service shop, I trust those guys with my life (literally), so I reckon I can trust them with my knife. It helps that I have known the shop owner for a long while, he won't tolerate a thief.

I have a standard set of things I leave in the car anyway (a Leatherman multitool, a SAK Pioneer-X, a Case Sod Buster Jr, and a large modern folder) so this is just for fun. Decisions, decisions...

I always have a Buck 119, old SAK I don't know the model name and a Leatherman Wave in my car not to mention whatever I'm carrying for the day.

Earlier I posted my beer n blade in the beverages and blades thread but thought that our American cousins would be interested in what I found whilst I was there. Of course if your interested in US history you may already know this.

On a bike ride yesterday I visited the George Washington pub in the village of Warton in the county of Lancashire, a few miles north of the county town of Lancaster in the north-west of England. The pub which dates from the 19th century was once called the Black Bull but changed it's name in 1825 in honour of George Washington.
4feWMYF.jpg

The reason for this and what will be of interest to our US cousins is Warton is the ancestral home of the medieval ancestors of George Washington, your first elected president.

John De Wessingham arrived in Lancashire in the mid-13th century from County Durham, (in the north-east of England) where as a Benedictine Monk he was later Prior of Durham Cathedral (1416-1437).

His ancestor Lawrence Washington settled in Warton in 1300 and helped build the local church of St' Oswald's, with one of his great-grandsons, Robert, building the church tower in the 15th century.
veMQc7t.jpg

It is the Washington family crest that is purported to be the inspiration for the U.S flag and a carving of it can be found in the church. This dates from the building of the church and was obviously placed to show that the Washington family were it's benefactors.
Qbblva7.jpg

Even though George Washington's direct ancestors left Warton and settled in Northhamptonshire in about the mid-16th century, a branch of the family descended from Lawrence Washington (Washington's six-times great uncle) remained in Warton. Thomas Washington was rector of St' Oswald's in the 19th century and is buried in the churchyard.
cSBbEJk.jpg

Within the church you'll find the family tree of George Washington. It appears that he was descended from medieval Scottish royalty.
Ntg7EJz.jpg

George Washington's family tree:
QzISaNj.jpg

And the Warton Washington family:
cG5wSKJ.jpg

Another family tree (sorry the picture was to blurred) shows that George Washington was actually distantly related to one of Britain's greatest leaders; Sir Winston Churchill.
On return home following WWII US servicemen who had been stationed in the area approached the US Government, who sent the George Washington pub a US flag, which the pub proudly hoists aloft every Independence Day. Apparently this flag had first been flown over the Capitol Building in Washington D.C.

And the tiny village of Warton taken from the church gate looking up Main Street.
2umFt7r.jpg

Anyway hope you've found this interesting. I was completely ignorant of this myself so it really added something to my day.

That's a lot of blades in your vehicle, John! :eek: I don't leave any knives in my car, but maybe I should. My car is in the shop today for repairs, which motivates me to ask if you remove all your cutlery if you have to leave your vehicle at a service facility.
I always remove things that might accidentally get lost during automotive service before I go into the shop.

I have enough extra pocket knives (like maybe 100 more than I need) so that leaving a few strategically placed makes sense to me. No reason for them to all be stored on a shelf or in a drawer at home. I leave a couple of more "utility" type knives in the kitchen for a quick grab so that I am not tempted to use a kitchen knife, one at my desk at work that I use for things like apple slicing, and one in my laptop bag (another SAK, plus another multitool).

That way you can carry a small or nicer knife but still have a bigger and/or beater knife nearby.

And with all of those SAKs and multitools around, I never need a bottle opener on my nice pocket knives.

Very interesting Donn! Thanks for the write up and nice pictures:thumbsup:

Thank you for the excellent, informative post, donn! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

Thanks guys. I was doing a little more reading around this last night, mainly on Wikipedia. A couple of facts may be a little off regarding John De Wessingham. He may of been Prior at Durham Cathedral until 1446/1447. And the picture of the family tree clearly states he was from Westmoreland (a county that no longer exists but was adjacent to County Durham). But as various sources I read when writing the post contradict each other I'm not going to edit the post.
I watched a BBC programme last year that had a section on Mount Vernon. It looked like a really interesting place to visit and one to put on the bucket list.

http://www.mountvernon.org/

I always remove things that might accidentally get lost during automotive service before I go into the shop.

I have enough extra pocket knives (like maybe 100 more than I need) so that leaving a few strategically placed makes sense to me. No reason for them to all be stored on a shelf or in a drawer at home. I leave a couple of more "utility" type knives in the kitchen for a quick grab so that I am not tempted to use a kitchen knife, one at my desk at work that I use for things like apple slicing, and one in my laptop bag (another SAK, plus another multitool).

That way you can carry a small or nicer knife but still have a bigger and/or beater knife nearby.

And with all of those SAKs and multitools around, I never need a bottle opener on my nice pocket knives.
John, you sure have knack for phrasing things diplomatically! :D:thumbsup:

I keep some pocket knives in the kitchen, some on my desk at work, and an original Leatherman in my backpack that goes to and from work with me. Probably should keep one or two in our cars.

You make a good point about the bottle openers, too, John. I've never felt a real urge to get a Beer Scout Knife when I already have a Beer Recruit, Beer Cadet, Beer Tinker, Beer Pioneer, Beer Huntsman, Beer Classic, Beer Minichamp, etc. ;) (On the other hand, why DO I feel a real urge to have so many barely-different models of SAKs??? :confused:)

- GT

John, you sure have knack for phrasing things diplomatically! :D:thumbsup:

I keep some pocket knives in the kitchen, some on my desk at work, and an original Leatherman in my backpack that goes to and from work with me. Probably should keep one or two in our cars.

You make a good point about the bottle openers, too, John. I've never felt a real urge to get a Beer Scout Knife when I already have a Beer Recruit, Beer Cadet, Beer Tinker, Beer Pioneer, Beer Huntsman, Beer Classic, Beer Minichamp, etc. ;) (On the other hand, why DO I feel a real urge to have so many barely-different models of SAKs??? :confused:)

- GT

cmon SAKs are neat!!! I remember when i finally saw they had something with a single blade model, or it might have been the pocket pal, one big and one small blade, I had to have it! it sits in my edc box. SAKs tend to come sharp always. still gotta find that alox single blade, cant go wrong with SAK

I've never felt a real urge to get a Beer Scout Knife when I already have a Beer Recruit, Beer Cadet, Beer Tinker, Beer Pioneer, Beer Huntsman, Beer Classic, Beer Minichamp, etc. ;) (On the other hand, why DO I feel a real urge to have so many barely-different models of SAKs??? :confused:)
LOL! Well put!

cmon SAKs are neat!!! I remember when i finally saw they had something with a single blade model, or it might have been the pocket pal, one big and one small blade, I had to have it! it sits in my edc box. SAKs tend to come sharp always. still gotta find that alox single blade, cant go wrong with SAK
Check out Swiss Bianco- Alox Solo in 6 different colors

I'm back on my Kindle I was at the store this morning and someone broke into my car and stole my laptop, a S&W .380, a SAK and a Wave. Called the police but basically just got a police report out of them for insurance purposes. In fact he didn't even give me a copy said I would have to pick up a copy at the station after Monday. As you probably guessed I'm not in a very good mood. :mad::mad:

I'm back on my Kindle I was at the store this morning and someone broke into my car and stole my laptop, a S&W .380, a SAK and a Wave. Called the police but basically just got a police report out of them for insurance purposes. In fact he didn't even give me a copy said I would have to pick up a copy at the station after Monday. As you probably guessed I'm not in a very good mood. :mad::mad:
Sorry to hear that, Randy. That's a real bummer! I'm always paranoid about leaving stuff in my car. Hope you get some resolution.

Back