1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Carving Knives

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by gdw, Jul 6, 2012.

1. gdw

gdw

Jun 8, 2011
    I thought I would share some custom carving knives. Everyone shows their EDC's and "Tactical" knives but here are a couple of knives that get used a lot that, while not EDC, are pretty cool. One was made by a friend of mine and another by Rick at "Little Shavers." They were both made from old German straight-edge razors. The top one has a Japanese maple handle and the one on the bottom has a tiger stripe maple handle. The one on the bottom looks like the blade is scratched up, but it must be the light because it looks like a mirror. I keep them sharp by stropping them on my leather-on-wood strop using a yellow buffing compound (and they are sharp). I like to carve "Wood Spirits." Anyway, they are marvelous little knives that carve great - and work pretty good at removing splinters. I have been cut pretty good by both (funny, I have never been cut using a large knife).

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. John G

John G

Jul 4, 2008
    Very cool! I love those faces, and the knives look like the kind I could get a greatdeal of use out of. :thumbup:

3. gdw

gdw

Jun 8, 2011
    HI John,

Nice blog and great looking little Dala horses. I have a Mora carving knife too. I bought the blade from Littleshavers and made the handle (see pic). I don't use it as much as the smaller knives (the mora is thicker - but it is sharp). I use the Mora for rough-outs. I like Harley Refsal's book "Scandinavian Style Woodcarving." He has some horses that reminds me of the ones you carve. Nice to see another "whittler" here.

The top knife is a Denny blade I bought from Littleshavers and made a micarta handle for it and bottom knife is the Mora.

[​IMG][/IMG]

4. John G

John G

Jul 4, 2008
    Nice work! Check out this thread for carvings by Bladeforums' resident whittlers. You'll find some cool carvings done by some talented people. :)

5. 2knife

2knife

Mar 13, 2002
    I posted this up in "custom, handmade knives" and got no response! The wrong place i guess. We must be the black sheep with the diminutive tools..

6. blazink

blazink Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Very nice. I recently got some spoon carving knives from pinwood forge. They are a bargain.

7. John G

John G

Jul 4, 2008
    The top one here is from ML Knives.

[​IMG]

8. Dirtskirt

Dirtskirt

Nov 10, 2011
    Wow,
    i like pictures of real Work knives.
    I think i must made me a carving knife too.

Dirk

9. Mossyhorn

Mossyhorn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 6, 2009
    May I suggest the Following by Flexcut.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

10. markksr

markksr

Mar 15, 2007
    Some real fine carving knives here gentlemen. Thanks for the info! :thumbup:

11. markksr

markksr

Mar 15, 2007