1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Case Amber Bone

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Rsmith_77, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Rsmith_77

Rsmith_77

Jun 4, 2010
    Just decided to take a few pics
    so far i got a texas jack in cv and a mini-trapper in stainless

i took these pics late last night, so artificial light and all that, hope they came out ok

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

its hard to see in this pic, but i wanted to show just how much thicker the mini-trapper is than the texas jack, its not a huge amount thicker, but it is noticeable in hand. I wonder why though, they both have 2 liners, the spey is longer then the pen, but i dont think its thicker *shrugs*

[​IMG]

and just because they are cool

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just thought i would share, i always drool at other peoples pics, thought i would give someone a chance to drool a little at mine :eek::D

2. Stich2442

Stich2442

May 6, 2012
    Nice amber bone, the pen blade and spring are thinner than the spey blade and spring. I've got to get a Texas Jack some day

3. Humppa

Humppa

Jul 25, 2010
    The Case Amber Bone Mini Trapper SS was my first american slipjoint at all. It still has a special place in my "collection". I really like it very much. And the bone scales are nice thick. I must have a pic somewhere of the thickness.

But hereĀ“s a pic of it in spring this year.

[​IMG]

EDIT:

Here I have the pic about the thickness in comparison to the Case Medium Stockman :)

[​IMG]

4. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    Thanks for sharing Rsmith. I would not be able to decide between the two.

5. sitflyer

sitflyer Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2011
    I really like the look of the Texas Jack in Amber Bone, I might just keep an eye out for one now. Thanx for the pics:thumbup:

6. VictorKilo

VictorKilo

Jan 12, 2011
    Definitely one of my favorites. Plus there's just something special about the pen blade on the Texas Jack. It's only a slight profile change from the normal spear pen, but the flatter edge makes it a winner in my book. Between the scales, blade shape, and CV steel it makes for a beauty of a knife. Thanks for sharing.

[​IMG]

7. yobbos1

yobbos1

Mar 29, 2002
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have a bartender in amber bone aswell but no pics. Will try to get one up this evening.

8. Rsmith_77

Rsmith_77

Jun 4, 2010
    decide between?
    i have both :D

but i have already edc'd the texas jack a ton more than the mini-trapper
    the pen blade is such a great little utility blade, much more useful than the spey blade (FOR ME, i not castrating anything)

its cool though, the mini-trapper has a fatter end, and it fits the hand just wonderfully, but its thicker and more noticeable in the pocket
    the texas jack is more comfortable in the pocket, but doesnt really swell in the end (which i DO like)

and finally, i just am leery of the case SS, i know there are tons of folks that say Case's tru sharp is just fine...i dunno
    at least with case's CV you know what your getting and how its going to work. Still, the CV texas jack just might be my winter edc and switch to stainless for my summer edc (but then the buck 301 wants to come out to play) LOL

9. protourist

protourist Sailin' a reach before a followin' sea. Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    What's fun is watching them change from this...
    [​IMG]
    To this.
    [​IMG]

10. Rsmith_77

Rsmith_77

Jun 4, 2010
    how long have you had that knife?
    how long did it take to mellow like that?

love the pattern too!

11. Doug Add

Doug Add

Jan 9, 2012
    Yes Mack, inquiring minds want to know!

This picture has just ramped up my interest in an amber bone knife by several notches.

12. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    I think it's one of CASE's best offerings. Why no Pen Knife in this or Chestnut??? It varies a lot between knives, not in the sense of quality but in colour.

As shown, it ages and mellows very satisfyingly indeed. My 'Car Knife' is an Amber Medium Stockman Trusharp and it is becoming better and better in appearance. I messed up the springs by taking down the kick too much (a warning to all) but it makes a very nice user in damp or messy conditions.

13. Silverdagger

Silverdagger

Dec 18, 2006
    That pattern is awesome and the wear is stunningly gorgeous. I haven't posted here in ages, but this warrants a post. Is that color and pattern still available? Wow.

14. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    Rsmith
    Thanks for the further info. I feel myself being drawn into the black hole of Amber Bone. You have me carrying this one today.

[​IMG]

15. richstag

richstag

Feb 22, 2007
    Ryan,

Very nice looking knives.

That is all,

Kevin

:D

16. Rsmith_77

Rsmith_77

Jun 4, 2010
    :thumbup:
    good to hear!!

now (just getting home from work), if i can get my CV blades to stop rusting in my pants pocket while i work *grumble grumble*

17. Rsmith_77

Rsmith_77

Jun 4, 2010
    now that you mention it, a case pen in cv with amber bone WOULD be pretty spiffy :p

18. protourist

protourist Sailin' a reach before a followin' sea. Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    I got that in 2008 and carried it everywhere for a couple of years. It was the one knife that I always carried no matter what. It probably took two years to make that change. It's nearly translucent now.:thumbup:

19. zippofan

zippofan

Nov 12, 2011
    I picked up an amber bone Pocket Hunter right before summer camp this year and have yet to take a pic. I've been using it to cut my cigars since, the blades are scalpel sharp after a couple of swipes on the Sharpmaker and work better than the cigar cutter I have :D However they are SS, I don't know if Case makes the pocket hunter with CV blades.

It's a nice little pattern right on the edge of 3" closed though not quite as people friendly as the Peanut IMO.

20. Peter Parker

Peter Parker

Aug 18, 2008
    Nice amber bone guys and I can't wait to see how my 47 ages!