Case: Russlock or Mid-lock hunter?

SAK

Hi all,

I don’t have any traditional style knives in my collection. I would like to make my next purchase a traditional. I want to try a chrome vanadium blade. I would prefer some type of lock on the blade.

Can you guys help me out with a decision? I have never owned a Case and will be ordering this knife online with no chance to handle it first.

I am trying to decide between these two knives:

- Case 61256 CV mid-folding hunter, Amber Bone
http://vintageknives.com/morepics.asp?prodid=2461

- Case 61953L CV Russlock, Red Bone
http://vintageknives.com/morepics.asp?prodid=2464

Three things that are important to me are decent fit and finish, no major blade play and having the blade be centered. I am not sure if either of the knives above is known to be worse in these categories? I would appreciate any input?

My other thoughts:
- I worry that the thumbstud on the mid-folding hunter might stick out so far as to interfere with sharpening on a stone. Any feedback?
(I have a Ka-bar/Dozier folder where I can hit the thumbstud when sharpening if I am not careful.)

- Does the pocket clip on the mid-folding hunter function well enough to be used in EDC?
(As an aside: I see the clip is now screwed on rather than riveted as it was on some earlier models. That is good.)

- My only reservation about the Russlock it having the “lever” stick out which might make it a pain to carry in the pocket. I would prefer to not carry it in a sheath but I could if that becomes a problem.

I would appreciate any input.

Thanks,

--SAK

I can't help as I haven't any experience with either of those yet. I do however, see your delima. Both of those are really sweet! I'll be interested to hear what folks have to say. Both are CV so that is good. I've been interested in Russlocks, but between the two I have to admit, I'm really attracted to that hunter. Get one now and the other later. ;)

I prefer the Russlock myself. It's a unique pattern. The studs on the mid-folding hunter can get in the way while sharpening. I also don't like the pocket clip, it rides too high in the pocket for me. Thats a personal preference though. I don't like pocket clips in general and the only ones I'll use are ones with deep carrying positions.

Jamie

jstewart16701 said:
The studs on the mid-folding hunter can get in the way while sharpening.
Jamie,

Thank you for that information. That is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.

I prefer the looks of the mid-folding hunter. However, I ordered the Russlock because I hate worrying about the stud when I sharpen. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the fit and finish and blade play on the Russlock will be OK. I also ordered the Russlock sheath.

--SAK

Back