Case vs GEC

Case uses a different nickel silver than GEC that I find more appealing. I do like GEC's commitment to making old patterns and things like pinned shields. Another I have noticed on GEC, is on their trapper pattern. I think they should put the smaller blade on the inside and both nail nick on this side. Before I bought my Case Stockman I looked at GEC but couldn't find a pattern or wood that I wanted. I like how GEC listens to people, and I wish Case would make a regular line of wood like Ebony and Cocobola without inflating their prices.

... it has very little jigging ... man, the jigging is average and the overall stain just looks like it came out of a high school beginner arts class...
Yes, I was most disappointed by "very little jigging" on the Case canoe I received. That wasn't how it was depicted.

_8260001.jpg~original

_8260002.jpg~original

I agree they both have a very different business outlook and they both can make a really nice knife. One needs to remember that both of these companies have employees with different levels of skill and there are many hand finishing operations that go into making these knives. ;)

1940 through mid 1970's was Case's day's of glory, in my opinion - and many other old timers I know feel the same. ;)

First off, this thread should have had a poll at the top. ;)

Second: I can only comment on GEC based on what I've seen and read, as I've not been fortunate enough to own one yet, but as for Case? I've own and have handled several, spanning a few decades of their production, from before I was born, to brand spanking new.

One thing is apparent: Case's quality, fit and finish, etc... just isn't what it used to be.
Do they still make a good knife for the money? Absolutely. Are they as good as they once were? I don't think so.

Now GEC is still fairly new, and from what I can see/read, still at the top of their game. Sure, you'll pay a little more for a pattern, but as far as I can tell, you'll get what you pay for.

The above excludes their Bose collabs and other specialty runs, of course.

Given a little spare pocket money, which would I buy tomorrow? GEC.

Given the choice I'd take GEC. My Bullnose has held up great after being used to whittle sticks and cut fabric. GEC's O1 steel was also quite easy to sharpen, and the fit and finish of the knife is supurb.

As for Case, I have always seen them as the "expensive" knife. When I was a kid the Case knives were always the ones in the cases, with $50 to $70 price tags versus the $30 Buck 110's and $25 Gerber folders. I guess this is a point of view thing, and I have nothing against Case (Yellow CV Sodbuster's on my short list), but I still view Case as the "expensive" traditional folder.

Back