Cavalcade of Carvers (preferably folders)

really nice mr. chips
the modified spey in the last pic is the shape I personally prefer.
It's a little more dangerous when doing stop cuts because you need to elevate the angle of attack to use the point and It tends to slip more easily, but when you get used to it(that means around the second time you cut yourself hehehe). I find the wood is left more cleanly cut with the slight slicing motion of the curved edge.
I don't know if you think the same?
mateo

Finally!

A couple more:

IMG_0001_zps9hmb6rl8.jpg~original

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to view the Tinker photos. :(

But, I really like what you did with the Colt!

Last edited:
really nice mr. chips
the modified spey in the last pic is the shape I personally prefer.
It's a little more dangerous when doing stop cuts because you need to elevate the angle of attack to use the point and It tends to slip more easily, but when you get used to it(that means around the second time you cut yourself hehehe). I find the wood is left more cleanly cut with the slight slicing motion of the curved edge.
I don't know if you think the same?
mateo

I tend to prefer the small Wharncliffe for stop cuts precisely because the handle of the knife does not have to be elevated as much as with a curved edged point.

Whatever works for you, is what you should use.

I finally got some time this weekend to finish the Victorinox Recruit mod that I started a month ago. Here it is with a rough face I carved with it in a scrap piece of basswood to try it out:

0957c34a467bfa21ed8148eaef5f6b67.jpg

I'm quite pleased with its performance. Now I understand why Mr. Chips uses modified Tinkers—which I believe have roughly the same size small pen blade—for his classes. They are inexpensive, easy to modify and sharpen, and hold their edge well. That's a hard to beat combination.

Yes I think a modified Tinker is the perfect kids' knife. Two good blades, a working awl for drilling holes, and we drill some holes for some of the projects in my kids' classes, and a couple of non knife blades for doing things that should never be done with a knife blade. It is amazing how many SA knives I see that have the can opener with the little screwdriver tip, and the bottle opener with the larger flat screwdriver tip, both of which make good prying devices, and they STILL HAVE BENT CUTTING BLADES FROM PRYING SOMETHING!!! Doh!!

Oh yeah, the Tinker also has a Philips screwdriver bit, and that is important, because the world is knee deep in Philips screws, which the kids will encounter.

Greg and Mr. Chips, the blade mods look great. This is a really interesting and informative thread that I hope continues to pick up. Thanks guys:thumbup:

Really nice Greg although I'll try my hand at regrinding it a bit specially at the point area and you'll see a great improvement on chip style cuts because the thinned point digs a lot deeper on the stop cuts.

I am a casual carver with not nearly the skill level as a lot of you guys, but I have really been enjoying my used (new to me) Northwoods Willamette Whittler lately. It is very comfortable in the hand and keeps a keen thin edge.

IMG_20160714_115449.jpg

IMG_20160718_103253.jpg

IMG_20160714_223642.jpg

Those Willamette whittlers are very nice.

I have always had a thing for two blade, single spring knives, and the blade shapes on that one are (just about) perfect.

I would really like to get one.

I am a casual carver with not nearly the skill level as a lot of you guys, but I have really been enjoying my used (new to me) Northwoods Willamette Whittler lately. It is very comfortable in the hand and keeps a keen thin edge.

IMG_20160714_115449.jpg

That's an elegant whittler you've got there. I forget, are they made on the GEC #38 frame?

That's an elegant whittler you've got there. I forget, are they made on the GEC #38 frame?

Thank you Sir. Yes, it is a 38 frame. It's difficult to articulate how naturally the curves adapt to the hand in both positions. I primarily use a congress or stockman pattern for carving but this one is quickly becoming my go to. As a bonus, the single spring design allows it to be easily carried in the pocket.

Really nice Greg although I'll try my hand at regrinding it a bit specially at the point area and you'll see a great improvement on chip style cuts because the thinned point digs a lot deeper on the stop cuts.

Thanks Mateo. I appreciate the advice. When I have some time I'll try thinning the tip out a bit more. I look forward to seeing how that changes its performance.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I like this little whale. What kind of wood is it? I'm also glad to see someone else who likes to practice carving faces in corners of blocks. ;)

As the others have said, your Willamette whittler looks lovely. I think r8shell's term elegant was spot on. I like its clean, well-executed simplicity.

Last edited:
Check out Ross Oar knives. The single blade carver and the 2 blade canoe look pretty good. The RR whittlin buddy is very large and the blades are too broad IMO.

I'm a fan of the Oar Carvers, they don't seem to get talked about much on the forum. I had them sharpened by the vendor when purchased. Some really nice Zebra wood on these. Due to the inspiration of this thread I decided to try and modify some knives I had for whittling. I started with a few old barlows, a Camco and a Colonial.

Attachments

• oc2r.jpg
    oc2r.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 54
  • oc1r.jpg
    oc1r.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 52
  • bl1r.jpg
    bl1r.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 52
  • bl2r.jpg
    bl2r.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 48
Then I modified a couple Case yellow CV knives. I picked up a belt sander and 4 sided diamond stone for a reasonable price with a coupon at that big discount tool chain. Getting a nice even bevel is going to take a lot more practice! Thanks to 5K Qs for starting this thread and all those contributing.

Rick

Attachments

• pnr.jpg
    pnr.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 48
  • pkr.jpg
    pkr.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 45
I haven't done much carving lately, but a few years ago, I had the idea that I should whittle just to have an excuse for buying knives. I was always looking for that one "perfect" whittler.

This description sounds familiar... :D I haven't done any chip carving, but I had to pick this one up, I think these were a SFO for A. G. Russell made by Queen.

Attachments

• agr1.JPG
    agr1.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 42
Thanks Mateo. I appreciate the advice. When I have some time I'll try thinning the tip out a bit more. I look forward to seeing how that changes its performance.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I like this little whale. What kind of wood is it? I'm also glad to see someone else who likes to practice carving faces in corners of blocks. ;)

As the others have said, your Willamette whittler looks lovely. I think r8shell's term elegant was spot on. I like its clean, well-executed simplicity.

Thanks so much. The whale is basswood if I recall correctly. I stained it with dark walnut. Helps to hide the many imperfections. :)

Hello! I'm brand new to this forum and joined because I was surfing the web researching about whittling knives and found this thread. It's already answered many questions I've had a frustrating time trying to answer so thank you!

I realize I'm late to the party here but I've been whittling for a few months now and have arrived at the point of modifying folding knives. I started with an Opinel 8, moved to a Buck 303, then a SAK recruit and now a tinker. Use mostly Basswood I get at Michael's though I have also been doing some rasp and chisel work with red oak.

I pretty much use my cellphone exclusively, so I'm not sure yet how to put photos in here yet...

I'm not sure yet how to put photos in here yet...

Howdy!
open a photo hosting account.

1. I use www.photobucket.com

Download your pictures.
Go to your Photobucket album.
Click on the pictures you want.
Go to the right and see Links to share this photo.
Left click on IMG. It will flash Copied. Paste into your post.

2. Another way, go to www.imgur.com
Upload your image.
Then select the BBCode option - it starts with .
Copy & Paste into your thread.

3. You should also [URL="http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/353471-READ-THIS-FIRST!-How-to-ask-questions-that-get-answered"]READ THIS FIRST! How to ask questions that get answered [/URL]which includes photo posting instructions.

4. For a detailed TUTORIAL: "Displaying your photographs on BladeForums"
[URL]http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/742638-TUTORIAL-Displaying-your-photographs-on-BladeForums[/URL]

Back