China knife? + a new toy :D

I just got in the mail today a kershaw whirlwind pain edge, going to give it some pocket time this week. (will post pics after dinner)

Now onto my question, fake china copies = bad. Similar in design but their own thing china knives = good?

So like the enlan bee el 01, i like it, looks like a similar to a hinderer design and i just want something with a manual flipper to have as a cheap beater. I want a hinderer one day but that day isn't today (prob will end up with a 0560 anyway though idk if id ever spend what a hinderer cost.)

I saw the enlan from a site most people on here probably know already and i wont say it because i got in trouble for saying a site the other day. But i saw the enlan el01 for 9.99 and then the tool is 9.99 to adjust its pivot, seemed like a decent price.

Anyone have any experience with it, is it a decent tool or no? Im just looking for a cheaper flipper to use as a beater. Cutting open bags outside and other random crap, i do have a bee el 02 (i think its the one with micarta and a axis lock) and i used it to cut down a tree before lol.

The EL-01 doesn't look like a Hinderer to me. At all... looks like an original Chinese design. The British have a lot of good things to say about it. The tool for the pivot seems to be a way to make more cash off the knives, you can adjust the pivots with pliers.

The EL-01 doesn't look like a Hinderer to me. At all... looks like an original Chinese design. The British have a lot of good things to say about it. The tool for the pivot seems to be a way to make more cash off the knives, you can adjust the pivots with pliers.
it reminds me of a hinderer, not that it is like it really, but when i see it i just link them together for some reason.

dea516bf.jpg

2d414bae.jpg

ca118c1c.jpg

62617767.jpg

a6eef49d.jpg

The EL-01 is very, very good for the low price asked. I call it the "ZT0200 for those without a budget" (I also have the ZT0200) being a very strong linerlock folder. It is remarkably sturdy and cuts well. i gave it away twice as a present, and it was well received. My only issue with it is that it is to my taste rather ugly :)
To my eyes, I never saw any kinship with Hinderer models.
I also like the other Enlan folders.

If you got the Enlan, you wouldn't really need the tool.
Also, why don't you just spend a little more than your would on the Enlan and tool and pick up a Kershaw Skyline? It's a great knife for a great price, USA made, Decent steel, etc.

There are other Kershaws you can go for that have the same steel as the Enlan but are likely better made.
Kershaw Tremor, Kershaw Compound, Kershaw Chill.

You can pick up a leek or other Kershaws. I would probably spend the $30 - $35 for a nice USA made Kershaw(better steel) rather than buy the Enlan. Or if you want to keep it under $30 pick up one of the cheaper Kershaw knives as they're well made and have the same steel as the Enlan. They're also backed up by KAI's excellent Customer Service. Or just go pick up a nice Kershaw Blem from Kershaw Guy(get something pricier for cheap).

That's just my opinion. I like some of the cheaper made knives. But even with a beater you want to make sure it's reliable and will last you a while. That's why I mention Kershaw. They make great knives. The blems are not covered by warranty but are still perfect examples of Kershaw's excellent products. Even with a blem, you know it's going to get you by for a long time.

I can assure you that the Enlan EL-01 is as well made and as dependable as the cheaper Kershaws. And the steel is a decent midrange steel that's meanwhile well known, affordable Kershaws don't do better.
For around 10usd the enlan is really good, and for once you cannot say that they were overly inspired by a western knife design.
Personally, these days i rather recommend to buy a cheap enlan or certain SRMs if you have little money, skip the entry level wetern products which are not better in my experience, and rather save up to the next quality level from the western companies, for example a Delica, a Manix 2 or similar from other brands.

Back