1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Chris Reeve- GREEN BERET 7"or Chris Reeve - The Pacific

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by plastid, Oct 28, 2012.

1. plastid

plastid

May 8, 2012
    Are these knives any good? I heard they are brittle.
    thoughts?
    Can anyone vouch for them?

2. Haze

Haze

Aug 2, 2004
    I have used both with out problems as have many people. I would personally be more concerned about the serrations and positioning of said serrations that render the most used part of the knife for fine work useless. That is a real complaint I have from actually using the knife and not related to what I heard on "teh interwebs" about some guy breaking one knife with a hammer.

3. marthinus

marthinus

Dec 10, 2006
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/948180-5-5-quot-Green-Beret-Camp-knife-chores

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/608769-GB-Field-Trials

The knife was designed for a specific purpose, that purpose is specific for a cutting tool and it is mentioned as such in CRK DVD (if I am not mistaken). It is also meant for survival. There is no clear definition for survival use of a knife. Latest trends are apparent, those trends indicate it has to pry/baton etc. However, history has shown that survival can be done with a small knife as well.

Strength, toughness, edge retention (wear resistance), edge stability, corrosion resistance and price. Pick three (or two), you cant have them all (cant remember the correct saying I heard).

4. plastid

plastid

May 8, 2012
    yea i saw that video ..

5. kaosu04

kaosu04

Apr 26, 2005
    I have a green beret and love it. As i stated in another thread, you'll hear a lot of negative things about them. But you have a choice between believing the sf community, or someone who thinks batoning through concrete with a sledgehammer is a reasonable application for a knife

6. caine

caine

Nov 9, 2003
    I have a Green Beret 7in and carried it in Iraq and used it alot. No problems. Pacific is on my list

7. Desert Hermit

Desert Hermit

Jan 25, 2012
    I have the 7" Green Beret and absolutely love it. I use mine as the all around outdoor cutting tool it was designed to be. I take care of it, but I don't need to baby it, and it has handled every camp cutting chore I have given it without a hitch. With the blade steel and the heat treatment that CRK gives the Green Beret there is no concern that it might be "brittle" in any way. The knife is a workhorse that gives good service and is well worth its price in my opinion. I have a lot of fun using mine and I'm glad I got it. The blade shape is well designed for a general purpose knife and the handle is comfortable and controlable no matter how I hold the knife in a variety of positions. I have a large hand so I "customized" my handle a bit by wrapping it with paracord which gives me additional comfort and control. The Pacific would be an excellent choice as well. Just a matter of personal preference.

8. JohnnyO

JohnnyO

Sep 1, 2002
    Let's call it like it is guys. Saying it broke by hitting it with a hammer makes it sound like it was a normal hammer, used to hammer nails. It was a 5lb sledge hammer. Anyone that makes a knife intentionally to withstand being hit with a 5lb sledge is not designing a "knife"....

I used my 7" GB to build a survival shelter that, both me and my wife actually spent the night. It did so with ease. I would not hesitate to carry my GB in the back country of Colorado.