classic survival knife thoughts. (extremely pic and word heavy)

Allot of great insights, int ot his thread so far, Thank you all for contributing, and for the kind words.

Excellent post brother! IMO, it all boils down to personal preference..

Can you accomplish most tasks with a small 3-4" blade?... YES.
Can you accomplish most tasks with a medium 5-7" blade?... YES
Can you accomplish most tasks with a large 6-10" blade?... YES
Can you accomplish most tasks with a long machete/parang blade?... YES
Can you accomplish most tasks with an axe/hatchet/hawk?... YES

So what's the problem?... Use whatever suits your particular style and needs. I switch all the time. I go through phases of what I feel works best for me (right now, it's a big honkin 8.5" blade) but that could change on my next outing. There is no need to "pigeon hole" yourself into a one knife/combo scenario. I think you're better off using a variety of edged tools.... that goes for most of your other gear, too.

DSC_0026-1.jpg

Took the words out of my mouth. SPOT ON. Great post!

Great post RR. Even though Rick agrees with you, he's probably wrong.... :D

Here Rick disagrees with me, but that okay that he is wrong here too :D

Then again, I watched Rick do everything he needed to do with an 8" chopper. Too bad he is wrong in everything he does....But he gets by on just the one blade quite fine. I only wish he wouldn't insist on extending that minimal philosophy to his skivvies...

... you really can't go wrong. Unless you're Rick....Then you are probably wrong.....

Git yo bitch-ass ina kitchin n make me a PIE!:grumpy:

Does it change my life if it takes 15 minutes or 22 minutes? Some people seem to care about this, but I don't.
You should.... that is seven minutes.... long enough to make a bowdrill kit. It's also long enough to lose dexterity during the early stages of hypothermia. That is seven-less minutes to work on shelter, water, signaling, etc. Not to mention that it is seven more minutes of potential daylight, getting soaked in the rain, eaten by blackflies, mosquitos...

BUT most of all..... it is seven more minutes of ME standing behind you asking why you didn't bring a "big boy" knife.

Rick:p

Last edited:
Git yo bitch-ass ina kitchin n make me a PIE!:grumpy:

BUT most of all..... it is seven more minutes of ME standing behind you asking why you didn't bring a "big boy" knife.

Rick:p

I new you were staring at my butt all that time. Its why I grew a goatee, so every once in awhile you would look at my face :D

Nice post RR and Rick, I agree with this notion 100%;

Can you accomplish most tasks with a small 3-4" blade?... YES.
Can you accomplish most tasks with a medium 5-7" blade?... YES
Can you accomplish most tasks with a large 6-10" blade?... YES
Can you accomplish most tasks with a long machete/parang blade?... YES
Can you accomplish most tasks with an axe/hatchet/hawk?... YES

I like carrying a variety of tools but it's a smart move to be proficient with all of them just in case it becomes the only one you have. We've all heard stories of people getting separated from their packs or their camp and relying solely on a small belt knife or the slip joint they had in their pocket.

In most cases, knowledge will be more important than the tool you cary.

Last edited:
In most cases, knowledge will be more important than the tool you cary.

I agree with that 100%. Give someone the best "survival knife" ever, and without the skills to keep him/her self alive it's wasted.

For years I got by on a Sven Saw, and a Vic SAK. I also had a small cheap roofing hatchet my Dad gave me. Then I bought myself my first Bahco 3/4 axe.

image host

With a little tunning, my eyes were open.

Then I bought my first "survival knife" as I saw it.

Still have it..... still love it. As mentioned before, use what you want/works best for you. Be damn sure you have/practice the skills to keep your self alive in a SHTF scenario because without that....... the knife might as well be a tent stake.

Edited to add....... great post RR!!!!!!!!

That pretty much says it all Dr. Bill. We each come to conclusions about what works for us. Sometimes that is a tortuous path. If you base your findings on experience and an open mind, you really can't go wrong. Unless you're Rick....Then you are probably wrong.....

Not only is is tortuous--it's expensive.

Unless your Rick and can make all the Bad Ass knives you want

I'm jealous!!!!

and having you or Him with me when the SHTF would make it so much nicer:thumbup:

Like everyone said John, great post.

I was always a small knife guy, but the more time I spend out, the lazier I get. That means I find myself now bringing a large knife with me on outings and utilizing it more. My belt knife still remains in the 4" range, as it is more comfortable in handling smaller tasks. However, the big knife makes my life easier in a primitive camp situation and is now always in or on my pack.

Back