How To Cleaning brass tube fasteners

So, I had some free time today after my daughters softball game and was checking out a new blade I got this morning, a Paul's hatchet (thank you Bill) when I notice it had some tarnished brass tubes. So I grab it and a couple more blades to clean up. While in the midst of working I figured I would tell you guys how I clean my tube fasteners. I'm goofy when it comes to this.
I use never dull. It's a cottony material drenched in metal polish.
So anyway I take my cordless drill , put a countersinking bit in it. Tighten up , PUT DRill ON REVERSE!!! (Very important)
Then you put a bit of the cloth in between the bit and the flared tube . And press trigger, using slight pressure , a good amount but not enough to push through fabric and scratch tubes. I go max speed . Then repeat as needed until they are clean enough.
For the inside of tubes if you wish I use a Q-tip in my drill , spin it while it grabs some neverdull fabric , not too much or it won't fit in hole. Then clean inside of tubes. Repeat until the fabric doesn't look black or you see inside is clean enough.
Sorry I didn't think about taking any before pics of them all. I didn't think about posting this until I was almost done . And thought " hey, wonder if someone else would care to try this?"
Some Pictures.

This is the minimum amount of fabric I would use. IMG_3487.JPGhere is the q-tip in drill with a before I did the countersink bit thing. That cloth got that dirty from just one hole. You can see some of the never dull fabric on work bench under drill. IMG_3489.JPGSome used set-ups . Pretty dirty image.jpg After cleaning a tube inside and out.IMG_3493.JPGTop one didn't get done yet. Finish product of bottom 5IMG_3495.JPGIMG_3498.JPG image.jpg sorry for the crappy pics. You should be able to zoom in. Good luck. Hope this helps someone out.

Thanks. Hope you guys like it. Rushed the post. I cleaned the other MS . Looks prettier now.:)IMG_3506.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3495.JPG
    IMG_3495.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3503.JPG
    IMG_3503.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3504.JPG
    IMG_3504.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 3
I would be scared to put power tool to the job with out some practice materials first but other than that it is a nice trick to do the job quicker.

Back