1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

cold steel spartan

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by billybobjoe, Sep 9, 2012.

1. billybobjoe

billybobjoe

Sep 2, 2012
    Ive been wanting the cold steel spartan for a while now and i know how strong the lock is but i don't really know much about how well the blade can maintain its edge and the point. Could anyone tell me about how the blade holds its edge and point? thanks

2. res1cue

res1cue

Feb 2, 2010
    Edge retention is on par with other AUS8, however the stock is pretty thick, so reprofiling is a pain

Tip is thick and holds up well

Most important thing is I'd say find one to hold in your hand. It is bigger than you think, which is why I had CM mod mine

[​IMG]

3. billybobjoe

billybobjoe

Sep 2, 2012
    oh so how is the rust resistant? and did you mod it like that because so you have more than one place to hold?

4. gomipile

gomipile

Apr 17, 2010
    It isn't very rust resistant. I got rust spots on mine even though it had a corrosion inhibitor on the blade. The bead blast finish is probably to blame there.

The stonewash finish on the new Voyagers is much better in this regard.

5. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    The AUS8 is bead blasted which makes it a bit of a rust magnet, but polishing the blade is fairly easy and helps alleviate the problem.

6. res1cue

res1cue

Feb 2, 2010
    Exactly.

[​IMG]

not a very good job, but since then, I have had zero spotting

7. billybobjoe

billybobjoe

Sep 2, 2012
    could you tell me how to polish it? sorry I'm not very smart, I'm only 13

8. powernoodle

powernoodle Power Member Gold Member Platinum Member

Jul 21, 2004
    [​IMG]
    Charlie Mike's Fresno Felon special edition.

9. billybobjoe

billybobjoe

Sep 2, 2012
    wow! that looks sick!:thumbup:

10. res1cue

res1cue

Feb 2, 2010
    Get sandpaper of multiple grits, start with around 120 (normal sandpaper), then move to about 600, and then 1000 and then finish with 2000 and flitz

Powernoodle, I always love seeing that knife

11. billybobjoe

billybobjoe

Sep 2, 2012
    oh ok thanks ill do that

12. res1cue

res1cue

Feb 2, 2010
    It's very rewarding, and something to do with your hands while watching TV. AUS8 polishes up pretty well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Charlie Mike

Charlie Mike Sober since 1-7-14 (still a Paranoid Nutjob) Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 1, 2000
    That came out really nice. It was one of my favorite mods to do.

14. flatface77

flatface77 Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 3, 2007
    What did you do to remove that annoying pinkie hook?

15. Charlie Mike

Charlie Mike Sober since 1-7-14 (still a Paranoid Nutjob) Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 1, 2000
    Dremel cut off wheel and clean up with my belt grinder.

16. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Don't sell yourself short, you''re inexperienced, but smart enough to recognize it and ask questions.

17. Grease

Grease Gold Member Gold Member

May 10, 2012
    I feel like I've stolen an idea now, but I liked that Fresno Felon special edition too much and had to try it with my Spartan.

My handle's a bit different though - I added another finger space around the pivot, so I can hold a bit closer to the blade if needed.

[​IMG]

18. Charlie Mike

Nov 1, 2000
    Great job on that!

19. Grease

Grease Gold Member Gold Member

May 10, 2012
    Thanks! I love modding knives, and this was a great excuse to try it on a knife I don't typically use much. That might change now, though... :)