1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Collins Legitimus Connecticut

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by cooperhill, Apr 23, 2012.

1. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    Picked up this Collins Legitimus Connecticut several months ago. Finally hung it yesterday on a Hickory Handle store racing axe handle.

Original:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of work to get the handle down to a decent size:

[​IMG]

Like how this one came out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Handsome axe, and nice work on the handle.

3. OutdoorEnvy

OutdoorEnvy

Nov 22, 2011
    Nice work buddy. That came out really nice.

4. Double Ott

Double Ott Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 3, 2011
    I really like your Collins....Great job on the restoration work and rehelving her.
    Another vintage axe saved for future generations.

Again, nice workmanship, Double Ott

5. cattledog

cattledog

Oct 7, 2011
    Looks brand new!

6. M3mphis

M3mphis

Jan 13, 2011
    Fantastic, cooper!!!! Excellent work. I have it's black sheep cousin:

[​IMG]

Take care, Brother.

Matt

7. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    Thanks Matt & all.

That 32# Hickory Handle store or J. Hollywood edge racing handle (same handle essentially) just wasn't big enough to fit this wide axe. I barely had enough room for the top of the handle to reach above the top of the eye.

8. bearhunter

bearhunter

Sep 12, 2009
    oh yeah! you guys are making me jealous... those look frekin' awesome...

yet another one to look out for;):D

btw; what is the weight on those?

9. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Wow. It looked good in original condition but it's even better now. That'll make a fine chopper.

What tools do you use for your handle work?

10. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    Bearhunter - it was a little under 3.5# prior to hanging.

Peg - I used a belt sander, rasp, and sandpaper. Lots of hand work with the rasp.

11. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    Ahhh!!! this came unhung (or at least visibly slipped some). I don't think I got enough wooden wedge in. Or I didn't trim the shoulders down enough.

Who do I complain to about quality control? :D

12. bearhunter

bearhunter

Sep 12, 2009
    well, the only department you can complain to is 'the department of copperhill' :D

can you add another metal wedge, do you think that would work? good luck...

on second thought thought, just send it to me... ;)

13. M3mphis

M3mphis

Jan 13, 2011
    Just don't swing so hard, Man! :D

14. Log cutter

Log cutter

Feb 19, 2012
    great lloking restore there, a Collins is next on the list for my collection.

15. Bridger

Bridger

May 20, 2009
    Where do you guys find this stuff? I'm after a nice Connecticut, but I have only seen a couple so far on ebay and they weren't the full sized versions like yours.

16. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    Bridger, I got this one on ebay. I must say I paid more than I usually do for these. Probably $70

17. Bridger

Bridger

May 20, 2009
    Okay, I have been watching ebay for a couple of weeks and I just wasn't sure if that was the right place to look. I'll be patient and keep my eyes out for a nice one. $70 isn't that bad for a nice axe head like that when you consider how much a quality new axe costs. I want to hang them myself so ebay is probably my best bet to get a bare axe head.

BTW, what search keywords are you using? I have "kelly axe", "vintage axe", "collins axe", etc saved under my searches, but are there any more scarce terms I should be using?

18. M3mphis

M3mphis

Jan 13, 2011
    Just keep an eye out. My last Connecticut purchase was a Kelly Works Red Warrior. I got it for $16+$6.50 shipping. My Legitimus pictured above was $26+$13.48 shipping.

19. markv

markv

Sep 8, 2004
    Connecticut
    we don't see Connecticut patterns around here in Mudzoory.

not sure why. we have plenty Michigan's, both single and double.

nice job on the refurb.
    excellent handle work

buzz

20. Bridger

Bridger

May 20, 2009
    I know. I went to the flea market in Midway before I left for the summer and didn't find any gems, even in the rough. I may check out some of the local flea markets in St. Louis while I'm here working for the summer. I'll post some pics if I find anything cool.