1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Combining copper and wood for a handle

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by chrisa62401, Nov 2, 2012.

1. chrisa62401

chrisa62401

Jan 28, 2012
    I am working on a knife and would like to add copper to the handle Has anyone any ideas on combining copper and wood for the scales.

[​IMG]

2. Jeremy Barnard

Jeremy Barnard Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 15, 2006
    Liners, bolsters, and inlay

3. chrisa62401

chrisa62401

Jan 28, 2012
    Do you have any examples?

4. JamesBro

JamesBro

Aug 21, 2012
    [​IMG]

pretty new at this and just finished this walnut and copper knife....ironwood looks even better with copper.

Is your knife already hardened.?...you'd need to drill holes for bolster pins.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  5. TheOTBalisong

TheOTBalisong

Jun 28, 2012
    There is an interesting spacer technique you could use with copper.

A spacer that fan folds back and forth, and it lodged between two pieces of material, so it can't be on the ends.
    And you fill the spaces that the copper doesn't with black epoxy.
    I suppose you need a hidden tang for that, but just throwing that out there.

6. roosterscrow

roosterscrow

Oct 20, 2012
    That's Perdy! Nice work.

7. Brian Ayres

Brian Ayres

Feb 4, 2011
    I used copper sheet for liners on my first knife. I have a second knife in progress using 3/16" copper as spacers.

I personally love the look of copper. I'm also making 2 tsuba now from 3/16" copper plate that I raised the rim on by hammering before I used my jeweler's saw to cut out the designs.

8. Phil Dwyer

Phil Dwyer

Feb 28, 2006
  9. bushcraftbasics

bushcraftbasics

Sep 16, 2011
  10. knife to a gunfight

knife to a gunfight KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2007
    Wow...