1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Compact hawk

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by tohubohu, Apr 27, 2012.

1. tohubohu

tohubohu

Nov 1, 2005
    Hello all,

This is the first in a series of hawks I have been working lately.

This one is the "softer", less aggressive version.

As the title says, I wanted something compact, portable, versatile.[​IMG]

Thanks for watching

2. leebrewer

leebrewer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 21, 2008
    I love it!

3. VolundoftheForge

VolundoftheForge

Jan 3, 2012
    Can you tell me hwo much you'd charge for one? i'd love one.

4. HandAxeProMan

HandAxeProMan

Apr 9, 2011
    A very interesting design. How big is the edge? How does it perform cutting wood? If I were using it as a weapon, I would sharpen the front as well.

5. scouter27

scouter27

May 27, 2000
    I like the way it looks, but I can't envision what it would be useful for. You say it's versatile, I guess I just can't see it. So, what's it for?

6. leebrewer

leebrewer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 21, 2008
    This Hawk is for sale in the Fixed blade section of the Knifemaker for sale forum

7. tohubohu

tohubohu

Nov 1, 2005
    Here are some specs:

OAL: 28 cm
    Cutting edge: 5,7 cm
    O1 steel
    5mm thick
    Double temper
    Natural micarta scales

Handaxeproman: it could be done, I have a bigger one on its way that might have an upper edge on it, but on this one I wanted to avoid it as it is a less "tactical" version.

I did something similar on this one a few months ago:

[​IMG]

When using the spike as a pry, you will use that upper curve as the fulcrum. That' s one of the ideas behind its design.

I call it Compact Hawk because my intention was to reduce the typical width of the tomahawk head, making it more portable, keeping a cutting edge and a spike, plus, as said before, I wanted a spike that could be used for prying.

I have 2 versions that will be posted soon, one more CQC oriented, the other one more "survival kit".

8. mymindisamob

mymindisamob Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2005
    I love it! I could see this being a great tool for me around the firepit.