1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Concerning Axes, Ashley A. Haynes, F&S 1921

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Agent_H, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
  2. rjdankert

rjdankert

Mar 10, 2011
    Neat reading that and thanks for including the link (easier on my old eyes). I was surprised to see that the author was a fan of "Adirondack" style handles.
    :thumbup:

Bob

3. Hacked

Hacked

Jun 1, 2010
    Just finished reading this, interesting article. He seemed to use boys axe and camp axe interchangeably. I noticed the Adirondack axe as well, I'm guessing he was from the North East.

4. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    Thanks for posting this view into the past. Interesting practice of rounding the bottom edge of the eye to keep it from digging into the handle (when prying chips, for example).

5. rjdankert

rjdankert

Mar 10, 2011
    He says he was born in Michigan and he moved west and his axe experience is from the west. That is why it surprised me.:)

Bob

6. Hacked

Hacked

Jun 1, 2010
    You are correct, I'd forgotten about that information in the introduction as I didn't find it interesting. Neither of those locations are typical for an Adirondack handle. This is also the second time I've heard the idea of beveling the bottom of the eye. First time I've heard someone recommended splitting a kerf vs cutting. I'm not quite sure what dimension he was describing with the words wide vs narrow.

7. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    For some reason the article won't show up my tablet. I'll try the desktop later.

8. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    My iphone opened it up but only after choosing ibooks or Blue Fire reader - don't know why. It is a 760+ page pdf scan, so maybe too large to open in the browser view.

Glad you guys thought it was interesting. Found it looking for old Plumb ads.

9. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Another thing I took from the article was his preference for 33" handles. I've often stated here that I prefer 32"-34" hafts on a felling/bucking axe. 30" feels too short and 36" is fine for splitting but too long for bucking for a man only 6' tall like myself.

10. Woodcraft

Woodcraft Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 7, 2016
    I am 6'. 36" works just fine for felling, splitting and bucking a log with my feet on the ground. I actually prefer 36" if those are the tasks at hand. If you toss bucking on top of the log and limbing, and every other task you can imagine I shoot for 34" as the ultimate compromise for the all around ax for me. 32 is just too short. I think it just shows you can not point to a specific handle length and state that it is best for a certain task. Because even at the same 6' we prefer different length.