1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Convexing a Machax by hand- WIP (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by cbwoods67, May 27, 2012.

1. cbwoods67

cbwoods67 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 12, 2010
    So after using my Machax for a while, I have decided to convex it. It bites real well, up until it reaches the primary bevel. So I decided to knock the shoulders off of it and thin it out a little.

First step, dull the edge. (I had to run the edge down a file after this.)
    [​IMG]

Then the handles gotta come off. Sorry about the crappy pic.
    [​IMG]

I decided that it would be a good idea to sand the coating off, so it wouldn't clog up my file.
    15 minutes and a couple slices of 60 grit later.
    [​IMG]

Other side.
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-0uvHYs1iRVA/T8JoJB52tcI/AAAAAAAAAlo/uewYpRpaACA/s640/004.JPG[img]

Coating, I SMITE you!
    [img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-k0FAxkz6Wg0/T8JoaTgdHpI/AAAAAAAAAl4/5nKvxP9JxTk/s640/006.JPG

Next I chalked up a file.
    [​IMG]

And started filing.
    [​IMG]

2. gutsy

gutsy

Sep 27, 2005
    i convexed mine by hand and it doesnt look like that . looks like you are thinning yours out a bit more though .

3. MrKnifekid

MrKnifekid

Aug 1, 2011
    Awesome!!

Or you could just use Derek's method...

4. gunknifenut

gunknifenut

Jun 9, 2006
    Cool, can't wait to see it!

5. cbwoods67

Oct 12, 2010
    IIRC, Derek's method was just convexing the edge. What I am doing is convexing the primary bevel, turning it from a flat grind into a convex grind.

6. cbwoods67

Oct 12, 2010
    Did some more filing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is just a little bit of the steel that got filed away.
    [​IMG]

Don't file into the edge. Trust me.
    [​IMG]

It's to the point where I can no longer feel the shoulders of the bevel, so I took it out and it went through 1 inch branches with ease, without an edge.
    Pretty anxious to see how it chops once I finish and get an edge back on it.

Also, probably going to make a trip to town at some point and pick up a crap load of sandpaper to even out the scratch pattern..
    Hand polished Machax, anyone?

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  7. thrillbilly

thrillbilly Banned BANNED

Apr 16, 2011
    Intriguing. Im curious to see how the finished blade will look.

I may be missing something here, chalk on your file? Never heard of that before, what is it for?

8. cbwoods67

Oct 12, 2010
    A little bit of chalk in the bottom of the file teeth prevents shavings from clogging up the file. Sort of like a dry lubricant.

9. thrillbilly

thrillbilly Banned BANNED

Apr 16, 2011
    interesting. Ive done a lot of filing but never knew that tip...will have to try it out, thanks for the pointer

10. cbwoods67

Oct 12, 2010
    Yep. Glad I could help.

11. gutsy

gutsy

Sep 27, 2005
    keep us posted !

12. CamH_16

CamH_16

Feb 5, 2012
    Personally I'd never convex an edge with a file but hey, your knife your rules I guess. Why'd you dull the edge before convexing?

13. cbwoods67

Oct 12, 2010
    So I wouldn't do this.:p
    [​IMG]

I really enjoy working with my hands. There is something therapeutic about it. In the same vein as using stones to sharpen a knife.
    Also, I don't have a belt grinder.

14. DerekH

DerekH Handsome According to my Mother Moderator

Nov 18, 2010
    Very nicely done! You are correct, mine was just for the edge and not the entire primary bevel. I gotta say, you got some brass ones to be doing that. It looks like it is coming along very, very nicely though. Good work!

15. gunknifenut

gunknifenut

Jun 9, 2006
    Looks awesome!
    I am thinking that you could hit it with 220 and up, and it would clean up very nicely....

16. cbwoods67

Oct 12, 2010
    Did some more filing. Think I may be done.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can no longer feel the shoulders, and it is a smooth transition all the way down to the (unsharpened) edge, except at the beginning of the bevel, as evidenced in the pictures.
    Think I may head into town and get some sand paper.

17. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    Mind taking a photo from the tip to the handles, so we can see what your convexing looks like? You, my friend, need a belt grinder :) That's a lot of elbow grease. I'll be interested to see what your end result is after hand polish.

18. cbwoods67

Oct 12, 2010
    I tried getting a couple. That is one tough angle to catch, especially in my poorly lit dungeon.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made a trip to town only to discover that the autobody store was closed for Memorial Day

19. thebrain

thebrain

Dec 12, 2007
    WOW I couldn`t see the real difference until the longways edge pics ,great job I bet she will be a real slicer when she`s done.

20. Greybush

Greybush Banned BANNED

Feb 14, 2012
    Damn man, very nice.....