1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Cool Bowie Type Knife In Legends Of The Fall Movie? Anyone Know Anything About It?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by 10dragons, Feb 11, 2007.

1. 10dragons

10dragons

Jan 25, 2007
    I really really like the bowie type knife TRISTAN (BRAD PITTS CHARACTER) carried in the movie LEGENDS OF THE FALL. It had some kind of white handle.
    Who made that knife? Where can I get one like it? I would be grateful for any info. on this knife.

2. Bear Claw Chris Lappe

Bear Claw Chris Lappe Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2001
    That's been asked a bunch of times and so far noone has ever found out.

There is a custom maker named George S. Sweeney that makes an almost exact replica, but he did not make the one in the film.

http://www.bladesmith.com/legends.htm

3. Foilist

Foilist

Dec 20, 2004
    Isn't the handle some sort of forked piece of antler?

4. Bear Claw Chris Lappe

Bear Claw Chris Lappe Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2001
    Yep, here is a picture of Sweeney's replica, I give him credit, he's pretty darn close!

[​IMG]

5. S. Brown

S. Brown

May 16, 2006
    I believe it was Brian Lyttle who made the knife but I can't find any pics of it

6. Bluenotefan

Bluenotefan

Jan 24, 2011
    Sorry for the ridiculously huge bump, but if my memory serves correctly the Tristan knife was made by Daniel Winkler. I can't find the magazine at the moment, but I did have an article from Blade magazine that stated that Winkler made the knife for Pitt's character in Legend's of the Fall. It also goes on to say that Pitt purchased a knife for each of the actor's/actresses involved in Legends of the Fall.

Hopefully, I'll be able to find the article before too long and get some scans/photos of the article.

Great site by the way!