Cordura pouch sewing questions

I tend to use nylon pouches for a ton of things (tool bag, camera, EDC pouch, folding knife pouch, glasses carrier on backpack, add-ons for Molle attachments, etc).

I am getting tired of searching for dimensions and modifying what I have, and even paying a lot for some simple designs or finding that a design I like is discontinued. I don't want leather for pouches that see a lot of rain (like the pouches on my motorcycle backpack).

I had two main questions:

1. What inexpensive sewing machine would someone recommend for this (what stitches does it need to have programmed). It would be nice if I could also use it to alter my inexpensive dress shirts for a better fit too.

2. Are there any local chain stores that might carry the heavier Cordura fabric? It would be nice to see and hold it before purchase, which I can't do if I purchase online.

Your question number 1........What is inexpensive to you? What's the number? Most of the readily available "seamstress" "inexpensive" type sewing machines are most probably not be heavy enough to handle the Codura. A good industrial flat bed machine like the Cobra 18 will be in the $1300 range brand new, but they will do the job over and over and over.

Your question number 2.........Best to check thew yellow pages for fabric stores in your area and call or visit them. If they don't carry the heavier Codura maybe they would special order some for you.

Paul

Thanks for the reply. The only local fabric place that lists Cordura has to order it online anyway. I might just purchase a swatch and proper thread and try some hand stitching modeled after pouches I already own.

Scott, a Singer 66 or 15 will do those just fine. I've used 92 thread with a 19 or 21 needle on my Singer 15 all day long. Make sure it has reverse though, it's a pain otherwise. The old Singers are fairly inexpensive. Paid $50 for mine, but no reverse. You can even get binding attachment for it so you can do edge binding.

As for sewing machines, My first machine was a Brother home type machine used for various clothing tasks. I quickly found that it labored when I tried to feed it 4 layers of 500D cordura fabric with an edge binding. Ive used many of the machines the manufactures sew thier cordura products with. I would recomend hunting for a used industrial machine on your local craigslist. A machine you can go test run. It should be a "walking foot", which helps hold together and feed layered assembles of cordura/webbing.
Consew 206, Pfaff 1245, juki 562, adler 167 are all awesome machines to look for. There are many videos on youtube. Theses machine are made to run all day, everday in a factory. So, finding one of these in good condition will serve you for a life time. Everyone of these machines are $1000 plus to purchase new but there are great deals out there for those looking in the used market. Good deal price is $200-$500. The singers mentioned above are very well made machines and will run forever as well.
Just make sure, which ever model machine your budget alows, take the fabric you intend to sew and run it in the machine. If the machine has any mechanical issues, it will show in the quality of stitching. Mechanical issues can be worked out but if you have to take it to someone, thats an added expense. As long as the machine was taken care of (oiled), it should run just fine.
If you have any upholstery shops or sail making shops in your area, stop in and talk with those guys. Ive found they can be extremely helpful and they are running the very machines your looking for. They usually have a few machines in the back that need a new home. Hope this helps.

Back