Council tool double bit sharpening help

So I'm at the end stage of getting this council tool Michigan pattern double bit ready to whack some trees with,.. I just can't get it sharp enough. Do I need to just keep thinning the bit? Not sure what the problem is here

what is "sharp enough"? are you talkin razor or just, sharp? but its hard to tell if you bevel needs filing without a close-up of the toe. you can get any bevel sharp though, just takes skill

Razor... What's a toe? What's the magic skill? I have about 5-6 hours into hand sharpening it so far

Razor... What's a toe? What's the magic skill? I have about 5-6 hours into hand sharpening it so far

Get a file
Make a bevel
Make a burr
Reduce burr
Blend the bevel shoulders into the cheeks

Read the stickies in the maintenance and tinkering area about how to sharpen in general.

I like to lay the axe flat on the bench with some wedges under the cheek so a straight line from the gutting edge through the center of the eye is level. Then I clamp it to the bench with a woodworking clamp. It is easier for me to maintain the correct angle that way. Then I work on one side for a bit, then flip it. I've tried sharpening them like you have that one in the vice and I find it very difficult. I'm still a noob when it comes to axes, but I'm pretty good at sharpening things.

You will get it.

I can't tell for sure from the pictures, but it looks maybe like the bit is plenty thin, but that the very edge is too rounded. Just file the very edge at a lower angle.

Forget all the other stuff. (Stones, vices, ect)Grab a sharpie and your file. Go drive it into a stump at about 45°. Then color the bit with a sharpie. Pick up the file. Work from the toe down towards the handle. The beginning of the stroke you are getting the very edge. The rest of the stroke you are rolling towards the cheek. Then drive it in the other way and repeat. The sharpie will show what you are missing. You can get an ax extremely sharp with just your file.

Forget all the other stuff. (Stones, vices, ect)Grab a sharpie and your file. Go drive it into a stump at about 45°. Then color the bit with a sharpie. Pick up the file. Work from the toe down towards the handle. The beginning of the stroke you are getting the very edge. The rest of the stroke you are rolling towards the cheek. Then drive it in the other way and repeat. The sharpie will show what you are missing. You can get an ax extremely sharp with just your file.
I can't form a picture of this in my head. How can I sharpen the part that's buried in a stump? Thx :/

Or find a way to grip the handle in your vise and tighten often.

5A26ACE2-D6B4-4088-97E9-075508CE09F6.jpg

kraash, do you have experience sharpening other bladed tools to "razor" sharp? I know there are pictures floating around of people getting shaves with an axe, but that's just silly hipster nonsense in my view.

Yes but not convex
If I was you I would try to learn how to file a bit. It is a necessary skill for those who use an ax.
But you can use the "rooster method". Get wet dry sandpaper in grits from rough to fine and a padded handled sanding block. Start with rough and work your way to fine. It is a pushing motion from the poll side, or the cheek, towards the bit. A pushing rolling motion with a little "sweep" across the edge. You can search it online. Or you could probably ask @RoosterMod.

Personally I would stick with the file and puck, but choices are nice I guess.

Last edited:
Back