Covex vs flat vs hollow grind for batoning?

Which is best and which is worst. I have my own opinions but i'm curous about other peoples thoughts and experiences.

I prefer convex grinds for every application. I know absolutely nothing about which is best, but that's what i prefer

But what size of the knife you have in mind, because my answer would be quite different between 6 inch blade and an 10+ inch blade..?

And there is also the width of the blade and the steel (INFI) of course.

But generally speaking, convex is better for batoning. On the other hand, hollow is generally not recommended for tasks of this kind but more for a delicate work.

A flat grind is v and a wedge is a v. So I would like the flat. But I could see why people would
Say he convexed u also works. This is only for batoning. I
Like a full flat ground on all my knives.

I believe convex would be strongest for batoning and chopping wood because the cutting edge is so robust. You do not sacrifice any significant steel when batoning with a convex edge (granted it isn't too thin), where as with a v-edge...you can notice a difference in sharpness even after a few logs...in my limited experience. Batoning with a hollow grind?! I would imagine that it would really mess with the edge geometry, as the hollow grind is designed to bring a very fine slicing edge to a blade regardless of the stock thickness. The diagram will help support my claims. A fully convexed knife, or a thick saber grind with a zero edge grind (like a 'vexed FFBM) will go through a small to medium sized tree faster than Oprah can devour a cupcake.

*EDIT: a shallow hollow grind, like the one on the new LB Team Gemini, should NOT post a problem at all. Batoning with a hollow ground rodent solution or a similarly thin knife could be risky... It depends on how deep the "dish" is. Either way, Busse Combat has the best warranty in the business! Use it well!!!

grinds2.jpg

Last edited:
Well i just purchased a team gemini light brigade with the intentions of using it as hard as I use every other knife i own.... i really hope the hollow grind does not hold it back!!!

I say convex; the convex edge will put maximum steel behind the edge so it won't dull as fast.

Well i just purchased a team gemini light brigade with the intentions of using it as hard as I use every other knife i own.... i really hope the hollow grind does not hold it back!!!

That's what I'm thinking. I don't need a chopper but battening is important and the TGLB looks like it might fall short in that respect.

That's what I'm thinking. I don't need a chopper but battening is important and the TGLB looks like it might fall short in that respect.

I have battoned a metric sh*t ton with my LBTG and haven't had a single problem even AFTER knocking down the shoulder of the v edge as a start to a convexed edge.
Beat the crap outta your TG's!!! They LOVE it and your NOT gonna hurt them.

I don't have a Team Gemini of any sort but the convex will not hang up in the wood like the FFG will. While the FFG blade is a wedge it is a very thin wedge not like a splitting wedge. It will work but not as effective as the convex grind. At least this has been my personal experience. Saber grind is also a good choice for wood processing as it is a little thicker wedge at a larger angle and it works great in several knives I own. I do not have any experience with large hollow ground knives and have not seen many that were not intended to be fighters. Hollow ground is great for slicing which is what I would imagine is what it was designed for.

I have battoned a metric sh*t ton with my LBTG and haven't had a single problem even AFTER knocking down the shoulder of the v edge as a start to a convexed edge.
Beat the crap outta your TG's!!! They LOVE it and your NOT gonna hurt them.

What he said!!

I don't have a Team Gemini of any sort but the convex will not hang up in the wood like the FFG will. While the FFG blade is a wedge it is a very thin wedge not like a splitting wedge. It will work but not as effective as the convex grind. At least this has been my personal experience. Saber grind is also a good choice for wood processing as it is a little thicker wedge at a larger angle and it works great in several knives I own. I do not have any experience with large hollow ground knives and have not seen many that were not intended to be fighters. Hollow ground is great for slicing which is what I would imagine is what it was designed for.

Well said Flats:thumbup:. I like the big boys for splitting and using Brendans #5 post above that would be the HIGH FLAT or CONVEX. Hollow is fantastic for slicing. Seen to many edges blow out in the hollows over the years but of coarse none of that was INFI. BUUUUUT I don't care to find out about breaking it either. I'll stick with the FATTIES!!!

I bought my TGLB as and all around/SHTF blade.

Does the hollow grind on the TGLB really affect the strength of the blade/edge much when compared to the convex of the original TG? Looking at the pics Jerry first posted that explained what the LB treatment was, there was a side by side comparison of a convex bevel next to the LB's hollow grind and while the hollow ground bevel was thinner, it didn't look so much thinnner that it would compromise the edges strength too much. I've read from several members who have both and some feel that overall hollow grind on the TGLB is an improvement to the original's convex but does it sacrifice much strength?

you folks are being way too paranoid. INFI is tough stuff. Hollow ground or not, it's not going to matter.

I believe convex would be strongest for batoning and chopping wood because the cutting edge is so robust. You do not sacrifice any significant steel when batoning with a convex edge (granted it isn't too thin), where as with a v-edge...you can notice a difference in sharpness even after a few logs...in my limited experience. Batoning with a hollow grind?! I would imagine that it would really mess with the edge geometry, as the hollow grind is designed to bring a very fine slicing edge to a blade regardless of the stock thickness. The diagram will help support my claims. A fully convexed knife, or a thick saber grind with a zero edge grind (like a 'vexed FFBM) will go through a small to medium sized tree faster than Oprah can devour a cupcake.

grinds2.jpg

Hey, is a high flat the same as a sabre grind?

you folks are being way too paranoid. INFI is tough stuff. Hollow ground or not, it's not going to matter.

Your probably right. Like I said, in the pic Jerry posted of the convex bevel next to the hollow ground bevel, the hollow grind looked like there was still a decent amount of INFI left so I would think there would still be plenty of strength in the edge. Like I said I got my TGLB as an all around/SHTF knife and if I didn't think it couldn't take a beating, I wouldn't have got it ;)

Take it out now, beat hell outa it, and if it gives up the ghost, then you know that you need a stronger (thicker?) blade. And it's still backed by the best warranty I know of.

Back