1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Coyote Hunter

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by Tommythewho, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Tommythewho

Tommythewho KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 21, 2011
    Bounty program for coyotes got funded. Rifle all tuned up with new scope and bipod. Got some new calls and I needed a new knife. Today I finally finished my coyote hunter. BK17 treated to some Desert Mirage Duracoat on the knife and screws, Leopardwood scales and a sheath mod. The scales are 3/8" per side. I decided to forego shaping them and left them slab sided reminiscent of Backwoods Custom's scales.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Obviously the retention straps were now useless. After taking it to two different canvas shops where i explained how to cut off the two straps and make one from them. No parts needed, perfect match, just cut and sew. Turns out after $30 in gas and $20 in charges all i got was the belt loop sewn shut by both shops. Got me a 50 cent bungee and made an elastic strap myself. Easy to use with heavy clothing, no looking down for snaps. Problem solved.
    [​IMG]
    What do I keep in the pouch? Why this. What did you expect?
    [​IMG]

2. Jonny1280

Jonny1280 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Man, that looks sweet!
    How do the handles feel in hand?
    BTW...give them coyotes hell!!

3. tincansurvival

tincansurvival

Feb 8, 2012
    That looks really good. I am interested to see how the Duracoat holds up.

4. Tommythewho

Tommythewho KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 21, 2011
    These scales feel great! Too bad the factory straps are so tight

5. chazmr

chazmr

Jul 3, 2011
    The duracoat came out great. I love the way it looks with that color and the scales.
    Please give us an update and let us know how the finish holds up under use.

6. Bladite

Bladite ǝɹnsıǝן ɟo uɐɯǝןʇuǝb Moderator

Feb 28, 2003
    stabbing coyotes one at a time?

make sure you take their cell-phones :D

7. mrn8

mrn8

Jun 8, 2007
    Looks good! Hopefully it will see some action soon. Coyotes are some fun hunting. Smart little buggers.

8. wasatchdan

wasatchdan

Jan 6, 2007
    The leapoardwood looks great. That's a nice 17. It's kinda hillbilly-tactical now. I like it.

9. smitty44

smitty44

Dec 31, 2006
    Great looking knife,back in the 50's we got $2 bounty on coyote ears,and 25 cents for jack rabbits,whats the bounty now??

10. Tommythewho

Aug 21, 2011
    50 bucks per lower jaw/scalp with 2 ears or lower jaw/full pelt

11. Chounch McGavin

Chounch McGavin

Nov 20, 2006
    What's the bounty on humans? That's the proximate species dimishing everything in its' path...

12. Tommythewho

Aug 21, 2011
    Depends on which human

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  13. Jerry D.

Jerry D. Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2008
    I like the bungee cord (I'm assuming) on the sheath.

14. K9-Handler

K9-Handler

Jan 27, 2012
  15. Battle Creek Knives

Battle Creek Knives

Feb 23, 2010
    dude this thread is soooooo misleading.... I've been trying to trap yotes to no avail and really thought I was going to get some tangible advise on calling these yappers.....

nice knife though :D

16. thatotherguy

thatotherguy

Oct 9, 2011
    Dang...
    I'd do it for free, if I could track down the varmints. What are ya shooting?

17. chazmr

chazmr

Jul 3, 2011
    K9, thanks for posting the link to your earlier post. Somehow I missed that one and it definitely addressed the durability issue.
    Plus, now I'm lusting after your splitter! I've never seen one with an electric crane attached. That's a great idea for big blocks.

18. Tommythewho

Aug 21, 2011
    Colt ar 15 HBar target model in 556 NATO aka .223 4x12 scope with bullet drop reticle and a BLACKHAWK! sportster traverse bipod

19. Tommythewho

Aug 21, 2011
    woops, double downed

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  20. Tommythewho

Aug 21, 2011
    All the info hints/tips you need !
    http://utahvarminters.org/