1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

CPM M4 steel?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by colubrid, Nov 22, 2009.

1. colubrid

colubrid

Nov 26, 2005
    What's this CPM M4 I am hearing about? How does it compare to other steels and what is its makeup?

2. SteelSnob

SteelSnob

Sep 7, 2009
    There will be a ton of stuff if you search here

3. AfterTFD

AfterTFD

Oct 28, 2007
    It's a highly wear resistant modern tool steel useful for all kinds of applications.

If stainlessness is not a high priority and wear resistance is desired more than toughness it is perfect. Otherwise other steels exist that are at least equally good candidates if we ignore cost (h1 stainlessness, s3V toughness, etc).

If all that sounds a bit vague to you that's because that's how reality works.

4. Jason B.

Jason B. KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 13, 2007

You may have it a bit confused, CPM-M4 is both very tough and very wear resistant. Its not stainless but it is more stain resistant than most carbon steels, I would give it similar stain resistance to D2. It is also fairly easy to sharpen though waterstones and arkansas stones would not be my first suggestion.

5. bladebertt

bladebertt

Sep 20, 2007
  6. H0B0J0

H0B0J0

May 2, 2008
  7. bgudowski

bgudowski Banned

Aug 31, 2009
  8. antonio_luiz

antonio_luiz

Jul 23, 2008
  9. Ben Dover

Ben Dover

Aug 2, 2006
    CPM M-4 is probably the best overall cutlery steel available in the world today.

It wins virtually all of the cutting competitions.

Today, at least, it's the Rolls Royce of Knife steel.:thumbup:

My last 4 knives have been CPM M-4. After using them, I'd be reluctant to buy a knife made from any other steel, unless I was working in salt water, and then I'd buy CPM S90V.